1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub Cable Help

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Jasoon, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Jasoon

Jasoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me why changing my sub phono cable for a supposedly better one had made things worse?

Having changed from a vivanco prowire to an IXOS 1141 Gamma my sub now hums.
    At first I wondered if I had run the cable to close to some power cables or something.
    Having moved everything to refit the cable the hum is still there not to noticeable when music is playing but when the music finishes or is paused the hum is there until the amp mutes then the hum stops.

So I decided to try my old cable again, no hum at all.
    At this time I was sure the new lead was picking up interference from something so I removed it again and ran it round the front of my gear like I did with the old cable and the hum was there again

I decided to remove the cable from the amp and see if the hum was still there and it was it seems louder with it removed from the amp.
    With the old cable installed but not connected to the amp there is no hum.

Can anyone explain why this is?
    The only thing I can think if is an earth loop problem that only seems to show up on that cable.

Any help would be appreciated….

Jason…

2. eddiea

eddiea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What model sub and amp have you got?

regards

eddie

3. Jasoon

Jasoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Amp is a Marantz SR4200
    and the sub is a Yamaha YST-SW320

4. eddiea

eddiea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Amp is a Marantz SR4200
    and the sub is a Yamaha YST-SW320

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not aware of any humming issues with the above kit so back to the cable, your Vivanco Prowire is a fully screened cable where the Ixos 1141 gamma is not.

regards

eddie:)

5. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just replaced cheap Techlink general purpose phono by Audioquest G-Snake subwoofer phono without any problems, can´t say there was any improvement either, but didn´t do a proper test...