1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub BK-XLS200 DownFiring vs FrontFiring: Please help

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Julio V, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Julio V

Julio V
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    :lease:BK-XLS200 DownFiring vs FrontFiring

Dear everybody,

I have been noticed recently about the sub woofer BK-XLS200 threads from a number of members in AV forum. However, I am in two minds about Down Firing and Front Firing. It makes me more confused when I received an email from the factory about this issue.

On the one hand the advertisement on the www.bkelec.co.uk said that: “The downward firing version performs exactly the same as the forward firing version”. On the other hand, when I asked directly to the BK factory about the DF and FF, Mr. Tom Pearce didn’t said straightly what on his mind. But it seems to me that he believes in the performance of Fronf Firing model when he replied that “Most people who use the XLS200 for Hi-Fi prefer to use the forward firing”. Reading his reply, it appears that the performance of FF sub is more surpassing than DF sub. Following is his direct speech:

Hello Julio, Many thanks for your valued enquiry. Most people who use the XLS200 for Hi-Fi prefer to use the forward firing.
    Regards
    Tom Pearce

Bear in mind that there is also a possibility that the FF subs are available in stock while DF subs are not. For this reason, Mr Tom Pearce suggested the FF one

Please any one has listened to BK-XLS200 in Hifi system- (NOT in an av surround system) let me know your ideas

My system is Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD+ Roksan Kandy MK3 amp + Quad L11 speaker.
    My room is rather small 4m x 3m. I am going to use BK-XLS200 for music .

Thank in advance for your concerns :clap:

JULIO

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Tom's reply doesn't differ to the company advert of the 2 being the same; it just says that other people prefer the forward firing unit for music. I would be very surprised if those people had compared the 2 different designs directly anyway - BK would be the people who would know best.

Any difference between the 2 would be very minor and the acoustic interactions of either unit with your room would be far more significant.

My preference is for the DF with a wood finished model but FF for a black or silver model. How's that for definitive? :laugh: :)

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The manufacturer states that there is no difference in performance between the front firing and down firing versions. The difference is cosmetic as many people with young children prefer a down firing speaker so that the driver is out of reach of young fingers.

Tom is a member of this forum and he has a reputation for integrity so wouldn't say anything that wasn't true or with hidden meaning.

4. BK Electronics

BK Electronics
    Active Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Blimey my integrity being brought into question :eek: , just to clarify I would never suggest a sub just because it was in stock. In fact on this occasion the gentleman never even gave me an idea of the finish he required and this is the biggest factor between getting a sub next day or waiting a while.

For Hi-Fi use most people order the FF version and I can only assume this is due to the drive unit being orientated the same as the main speakers. Iv'e listened to both the FF and DF in the same room and same signal source and to me there is no difference. The room has the biggest effect on the overall performance and I expect lots of people when setting their sub up would have put the subs in the ideal aesthetic position only to find it is the worst postion for the sound.

Tom

5. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    :rotfl:
    let's see how 'Julio V' is going to recover from this now!

small world innit!

6. Julio V

Julio V
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Dear Dan,

Thank you very much for your advice. If you are Tom Pearce ,to be perfectly honest, I have never ever damaged your integrity deliberately. It is simply because : Firstly, it is just the way I use language improperly ( you could check my threads to know I am not a native speaker) . Secondly, Mr.Tom Pearce didn’t give his own opinion when being requested about his help. He just said “most people prefer…”

When it comes to Sub finish, I stated clearly in the mail that : Light Oak finish. You could trace down the mail which was sent around 1st or 2nd September 2005 at [I]hungjulio@yahoo.com[/I].

Now I have to express my thank to you again for your advice. I will order the Sub soon. Please accept my apologize when I do not know how to use appropriate language :clap:

7. BK Electronics

BK Electronics
    Active Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi Julio V

:oops: My appologies Iv'e read your email again and it does indeed mention your favourite finish as being light oak .

I never gave my own opinion as this would be just that, an opinion of one person. Far better to let you know what many of our Hi-Fi only customers prefer.

Tom