1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sub behind listening position?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by karkus30, Jul 22, 2004.

1. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Anyone done this ? Im struggling to get the sub set up correctly, its very peaky at certain frequencies and no amount of fiddling with the pa-ra-met-er-ic e-qual-iser seems to get anywhere near. I have moved it into the corner, out of the corner etc, I dont want to stick it in the bay window as I believe that it might jeopardize certain areas of my anatomy.

The problem is an intrusive bass grumble, right where the music of a film is using instruments with deep bass, tubas , bassoons ,oboes etc. Otherwise maybe I need an equaliser.

2. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    The topic was discussed a few days ago HERE

3. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Apart from corners you might like to try around the middle of a wall (preferably left, right or front).

4. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Unfortunately, the middle of the wall is the bay window. 4 foot high sub and bay windows dont mix. But I think we have solved the problem. Move the whole lot up to the front bedroom. It doesnt have a bay, we are going to put in a walk in wardrobe covering one full wall, which gives room dims of 10' wide by 15'6" long (almost perfect acoustic dimensions). We were about to lower the ceiling due to cracks, perfect for hiding the PJ screen and downlights, makes a motorised PJ box would be a possibility as its into the loft. I luv it when a plan comes together.

5. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Pfff, seems a lot of work just to position a sub...
    Barend

6. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    positioning a sub is a pain..

But for me, I used a laptop, with my Radioshack SPL meter plugged in as the microphone, then used some audio analysis software to do a quick frequency response (just a quick swept tone seemed OK).. takes 5 seconds or so per run, and this relatively instant feedback (not perfect, but a good indication) will help in setting it up..