1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub at the front?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Rob100, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Hi,

I'm trying to planning a room layout for my garage conversion and rather than the equipment rack under the screen at the front I'm thinking of having the rack to the side leaving less distractions at the front (LED's etc) and having the sub possibly under the center (which is mounted on a bracketless shelf).

This would look good, but would it sound good?

More often than not the sub is shown at the side in manuals etc.

Any input at this stage would be great as I want to plan wiring conduits/ducts.

Thanks,

Rob.

2. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I don't think it is critical where you put the sub as to a certain degree the frequencies it produces are non directional. Mine is off to the front right simply because it was a convenient space to put it and I find it sounds just fine. I think you should be fine.

3. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    Purists believe that the if not dead centre, the sub should be on the right as that's where the bass players are in an orchestra.

I personally don't buy the idea that sub frequencies are non directional. That's why twin sub arrangements can work well.
    The really really low frequencies maybe hard to pinpoint, but sounds that you can still hear ARE directional, just less so than the higher frequencies.

I personally have never liked subs at the rear or on the side walls, it just sounds a bit wrong somehow. My sub has always been at the front, but to the right of the centre speaker.

However, one thing you should remember is that bass sounds boring when the source is close to you. Think of dropping a stone into still water, there's no ripples at the point of entry... they need space to expand.
    I'd choose a sub position that has the greatest distance between it and your primary listening posistion.

4. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    That would be the front then :)

Thanks for the replies. I'll carry on down this path with my plans....

5. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    The lower the frequency the more difficulty people have in pinpointing the direction it comes from.

The other consideration is that solid walls (ie not so much internal) reflect the sounds being produced and therefore by putting your sub in the corner of 2 external walls you will get a much bigger sound from it (though it can also sound more muddled).

Putting your sub in the centre certainly wont be a bad thing but if you are used to it being in a corner of a room then you will almost certainly notice a change in the sound it produces and depending on your tastes may find the sub is now "lacking"

6. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I'm glad to hear that you want to keep the rack out of the way - I've seen so many great systems spoilt by the kit on display underneath.

Keep the sub to the front too. Centre or to one side doesn't make much difference unless you're really picky but it does sound unnatural if positioned behind the listener.

7. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Astaroth - As this is a "new room" it will probably sound different to what it does in the lounge anyway. I will be buying a new sub for this room, so will take what you have said into consideration.

kherm - Don't get me wrong I do like to look at my kit as I'm sure we all do, but I do find LED's very distracting, especially the bright blue one's used so often these days. Where possible I normally dim/switch off displays when watching a film.

Rob.

8. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I have mine at the front - bewteen my left speaker and the tv, and it works!

9. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I would recommend the CARA or RPG etc software to help in this matter. The size, construction and sitting position are all interrelated. Moving a sub a few inchs can make a big difference to the sound quality.

You could be lucky and find that the first place you put the sub works very well but I would guess this is a rare event. Subs require some effort but the rewards are worth it.