Sub and Amp decision, help please!

roscopervis

Hi guys.

I'm hooking up my car with, x2 12" subs 900w
link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fusion-Power-P...QQcmdZViewItem

Now im debating whether to have, say x2 1000w amps or a x1 2 channel 2000w amp, to power both subs.

Any past experience info please? and which setup would be the most ideal?

Thanks.

Firstly, ignore the peak watts - its all nonsense. Find the RMS value of the subs. Then you need to find the resistance of the subs, then find an amp which will give the power you require at that ohmage. I would suggest one mono amp which will be more efficient, offer less installation issues and cause less system drain.

L

Luki

Ok, i think this is right...

RMS Power Rating (Watts): 300

so thats 600 RMS in total for both subs...right?

Can you give me and example for the 2nd part you tried to explain, sorry i'm not that good on things like these! :mad:

Anything so i can understand what im looking for on the amp.

Ayub

Distinguished Member
Luki, tbh you really want to start by stating your car model this gives an overall max size for woofers.

You would then look at the max amp you could offer the "amps".This is the max your alternator can give ( juice/power current) to the battery which would inturn give to your amp which would inturn crank your woofers. Its actually a simple but VERY IMPORTANT process.

PLEASE ALSO STATE BUDGET ( MAX) for each item which would give a good window of choice.

L

Luki

Citreon Saxo 1.1 year 2001
I'm willing to spend max around £400. Which is why i suggested the subs above, as they seem fairly decent for the price.

And i have no idea what you mean by... ''look at the max amp you could offer the "amps'' :rotfl:

Ayub

Distinguished Member
Long post but its good for you to know.

Ohm's Law defines the relationships between (P) power, (E) voltage, (I) current, and (R) resistance. One ohm is the resistance value through which one volt will maintain a current of one ampere.

( I ) Current is what flows on a wire or conductor like water flowing down a river. Current flows from negative to positive on the surface of a conductor. Current is measured in (A) amperes or amps.

( E ) Voltage is the difference in electrical potential between two points in a circuit. It's the push or pressure behind current flow through a circuit, and is measured in (V) volts.

( R ) Resistance determines how much current will flow through a component. Resistors are used to control voltage and current levels. A very high resistance allows a small amount of current to flow. A very low resistance allows a large amount of current to flow. Resistance is measured in ohms.

( P ) Power is the amount of current times the voltage level at a given point measured in wattage or watts.

roscopervis

Ok, i think this is right...

RMS Power Rating (Watts): 300

so thats 600 RMS in total for both subs...right?

Can you give me and example for the 2nd part you tried to explain, sorry i'm not that good on things like these! :mad:

Anything so i can understand what im looking for on the amp.

Subs come in singe and dual voice coils. Singles are typically 4 ohms whilst doubles can come in dual 4 ohms, dual 2 ohms, dual 8 ohms. Now you can wire these in parallel or series, which is explained in detail here:

http://www.termpro.com/articles/spkrz.html

Happy reading!

roscopervis

That is wiring in paralell so depening on the ohmage of the subs, the resistance would drop. I cant access those products in work (blocked), but if they are two singe 4 ohm subs then your wiring idea will show 2 ohm load at the amp.

Many mono amps are stable down to 1 ohm and you should try and match your subs to get the lowest ohmage shown to the amp as the lower the ohmage, the higher the volume as amps produce more power with less resistance.

I would advise a mono amp stable down to 1 ohm if you can, as this allows you sub options, but pick the best amp then choose the subs. If you get a 1 ohm stable amp then you have more sub options.

roscopervis

Both subs are only playing one channel of noise, subs don't play in stereo no matter how many you have..wel not yet anyway. So one channel is all you need to power your two subs.

Personally also I much prefer the sound of one quality sub compared to 2 lower quality subs. As far as brands go, RE make some monsters!

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom