1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sub & amp crossover settings

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by todinks, Jan 13, 2003.

1. todinks

todinks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the fronts go down to 39hz
    the amp has crossovers at 80,100,120hz (it doesn't have one for 40hz..is it really necessary?)

i've ordered the new b&w 650 sub..my use is 100% movies
    my current speakers settings are all LARGE and the bass i get from the fronts is great

should i set them to SMALL?..but if all the bass is directed to the sub then whats the point of having such big fronts anyway?..or is my thinking wrong?

how should i set up my sub and amp and all these crossovers?

how can i exploit my fronts to the fullest and get the kick from the sub as well?

i'm totally confused, need help!:confused:

my equipment:
    denon 3802
    b&w 604 s3 fronts
    b&w cdmc nt center
    b&w 602 s3 rears

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are many, many similar threads to this one and the question has been answered by people like Jase many times.

However, to make your life a little easier, here is the generally accepted wisdom:

Amp - set all speakers to small (pretty much regardless of their physical size and claimed frequency range) and the LF cross-over setting on the amp to 80hz.

Sub - set the sub's crossover to it's maximum and switch it to accept a direct signal from the amp.

The idea here is that your speakers' bass drivers will be working harder than they need to if you run all the bass to them and this can negatively affect the mid and high frequency sound you get from them whereas the sub, if it's at least reasonable, will always do a better job of pumping out less distorted, non-directional LF.

That said, there are some people who (due to their kit, room size, personal preference) will swear by using the fronts to reproduce LF as well. It's a case of sucking it and seeing really.