sub affecting dvd player

fizzgog

hi guys, the last two times that i have watched a dvd at -12.5db, the loudness of the sub has caused my dvd player to jump and freeze for 5-10 seconds. this happens quite a few times throughout the movie especially at loud points.
my question is this, what is the best way of preventing this from happening? is this the answer

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2197861#post2197861 - isolation mat

or do i have to move the sub away from the dvd player, at present it is about 120cm away and is placed upon two cork tiles.
the dvd player has a cd player placed directly on top of it. will this have an effect? if so, should i switch them round.
thanx
pete

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
I have my Monolith about 40cm from the front of my DVD-3910 player and have never experienced any problems at any volume level - but then 3910 is a heavy, well damped and sealed player, so it should cope.

What are your floors made of?
What is the DVD-1920 standing on ie, an equipment rack? Which one specifically?

Russell

fizzgog

russ.will said:
I have my Monolith about 40cm from the front of my DVD-3910 player and have never experienced any problems at any volume level - but then 3910 is a heavy, well damped and sealed player, so it should cope.

What are your floors made of?
What is the DVD-1920 standing on ie, an equipment rack? Which one specifically?

Russell

hi Russell, thanx for getting back to me. the dvd1920 is a very light unit.
the floor is not a solid floor. they are second storey floorboards.
i never noticed this happening when the sub was on the adjacent wall - but then i cannot recall whether i had the volume up so loud.
the stand is custom built with adjustable feet. i have attached a picture of the setup - i hope that i have done it correctly.
any input is much appreciated.
thanx
pete

http://imagecloset.net/img2/out.php/i6855_setup.JPG

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
IMHO, you're as likely to be suffering resonances in the stand from the center speaker as much as the sub. You, ideally need to isolate both the center and DVD player from the stand.

Google for Spetra Dynamics Polipods. £18 approx for a set of eight. Four under the speaker will stop it feeding energy into the stand and four under the DVD will help isolate it from energy being fed into the stand by all the speakers, including the sub, via the floor.

Cheap solution and definitely not as butt ugly as one of those isolation platforms.:smashin:

Russell

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
Nic Rhodes said:
Try sorbothane under the DVD player.
Nice to have someone agree occasionally! The Polipods are indeed Sorbothane.

Eviljohn2: Interesting point. If he's not suffering the same problems, particularly with CD, that reinforces my idea that the center channel is the source of vibration. I think his rear-pro Sagem may just be heavy enough to stay put though. However, isolating the center is going to do all of his sources a favour I feel.

Russell

eviljohn2

I'm just keen to find the source of the problem really, I think you're probably right that it's the centre speaker. If that's the case though, it would be better to isolate the speaker from the stand to help protect the other components rather than just the DVD player.

An alternative to the various isolation products around may simply be to swap the CD player and DVD player around.

I've tried (and used) a whole selection of isolation products for various components I have; most of which are probably unnecessary. Squash balls were a hassle, my IsoCushion is massively overpriced but looks quite nice. My favourite products are Auralex Mopads which are incredibly flexible in their usage (great for tilting my centre speaker down towards me whilst isolating it a bit) and I also use them in the middle of my XLS200 stack. MattyM's Isolation Mat shown in the first post of this thread is probably the best value solution I've seen for subwoofers and the customisation available to go with it are nice. It's far more stable than when I had Mopads at the bottom of my sub pile and more manageable for small footprints than the Auralex Gramma (aka Subdude). :)

fizzgog

hi guys, thanx very much for all the advice. i will get some polipods and let you know if this solves the problem.

i have never played a dvd through xbox so i do not know if the same will happen and when listening to CDs i have it in pure direct mode which turns off the centre speaker.

the centre speaker is set to large so it is quite possible that the bass coming from that could cause the vibrations.

ill get back to yous on how i get on but i will not be able to order anything for a couple of weeks. my spending has gone through the roof since discovering these forums. im not complaining though:thumbsup:
thanx again
pete

Nimby

Distinguished Member
Why not just try setting the Centre to small and see if the problems persist?

I'll waive my normal fee under the circumstances. ;)

fizzgog

Nimby said:

thanx Nimby. that seems like the easiest and cheapest way of testing for the problem, i will give it a try.
your fee is in the post
cheers
pete

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
Nimby said:

Ah! The master sees the wood for the trees and cuts straight to the point. Again. Still think some added Sorbothane will help though. :) Well, it won't hurt and will help.

Russell

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom