Sub advice

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by tierney, Dec 18, 2002.

1. tierney

tierney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

New to this group. Hoping to get a little advice. I'm thinking of purchasing a sub and was wondering
    if the REL Q201E is a good model. Also would it be suited to my current home cinema setup.

Thanks.
    --
    kluster (chris)

2. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    Hi Chris

I used to own the Rel Q200 which is basically the same but without a grill. To be honest it wasn´t bad (not as bad as some people will have you believe!), it does take a fair bit of tinkering with regards to positioning etc to get the best out of it though.

There are other Rels that do outperform it, such as the Strata/Storm range. It´s also worth considering a Velodyne which is what I replaced my Q200 with.

Paradigm subs such as the Servo 15 are also highly considered by the Forum members that own them.

Most subs will blend in well with any equipment configuration, its just a case of finding the best position for the sub and playing around with the crossovers, phase etc.:)

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    I use a REL Q201 in my system,having found it very well suited to the room I have.
    I definitely agree with Jase's comments regarding positioning and general tinkering to get the best results,and would add another regarding a good source to feed it from,and very careful adjustment of the filter frequency.
    Having said that,once set up,it's a good sub for the money,and vastly better than some costing rather more( a few M&K's spring to mind) although I havent compared it to Velodyne's offerings,and I know the views of some here who regard Velodyne as the only true way!
    I think one of the perceived problems is that it integrates better with the perceptions of those with HiFi's rather than pure home cinema systems,as it generally is a bit tighter than some of the others and can therefore sound a bit bass light compared to the upper bass boom from some manufacturers.

4. tierney

tierney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The REL 201 is an ex demo, and they're asking £650 for it. As new they said, also with a warranty.

IS this a good price?

5. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    Considering I paid 540 quid for a brand new Q200, then I´d said that´s a bit expensive. If you´re looking at spending that amount then you´d be better off buying a Velodyne CHT15 from the Forum Power Buys for 684 quid. It´s far superior to the Rel, which is why I bought one!:)

6. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own a Q201E and I paid £400 for it on eBay. I would recommend it for small rooms where it's discreet size will be advantageous, and you'll be able to keep the volume on the sub at 10 - 15% as I do, thus minimizing distortion.

7. MarkEmmett

MarkEmmett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tierniey dont get sucked into the trap of buying a brand name you reconize just look at the amount of people that are changing from Rel to something different now that they have educated themselves and now relize that the Rel is not what it is cracked up to be Also the finnish of them Rels is very tatty for what they cost on the q201 the wood veneer that you are paying £100 extra for dont even go to to corners of the cabinet as it is done to make the manufracturing a lot easier and in my eyes it is a very cheap cabinet that you would not associate with a speaker of this price

8. BK Electronics

BK Electronics
    Active Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Im the first to knock Rel and I have my reasons. But the reason the veneer does not go to the edges is not for ease of manufacture it's because they dont use the cheap wrap round system, they actiually use butt joints that give more suface area to the glue. In fact it's easier to make the veneer go to the edges using a wrap round but it's not as strong. So I say well done Rel on this one as they went for stronger contruction over looks.

9. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    £650 for an exdem model is a bit over the odds as I got mine new for slightly less.
    As for the looks,it is in the words of one HFN reviewer a "butt ugly spud"...but it's well made and does the job.

Have a look at www.hifijunkies.com or ukpricerunner for new prices,or otherwise ebay as suggested.

10. MarkEmmett

MarkEmmett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it is a strong joint they are trying to achive why dont ther use a lock mitre joint that has a larger glue area than a butt joint and they could take the veneer to the edges also due to the front grill being also made chipboad or mdf you are not able to give the grill a rinse now and then to remove the dust that over a period of time will accumulate

Mark

11. BK Electronics

BK Electronics
    Active Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I think the sheets of MDF are pre veneered so the lock mitre would show. Mind you Ive seen some fancy locking mitres made with a router and specialized jig that look quite cool.

The locking mitre would be extremely strong but expensive in production, I was just pointing out the two cheaper constuction methods butt joint and wrap.