• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sub advice to suit current setup.

Pauli 363

Hi all,

My trusty Mordaunt Short MS309 sub has started playing up, and after checking here, it seems it was always destined to do so.
Having started to look at replacements I'm now unsure what to go for. I do want secondhand though.
Currently have an Onkyo txr n515 receiver, powering the 309 and the MS Premier 5.1 speakers. The amp runs to a 40" Samsung LCD and a Panasonic PTAe4000 projector to a 120" screen.

Been looking around Ebay etc, and have seen a BK Gemini 2 at decent money, and may look at bidding on an REL T5.

Basically, I'm not looking to break the bank, but want something at least as good as the MS 309 or even slightly better if I can manage it.

Therefore 10" cone, and 140w of power, although I know smaller output and cone can deliver decent results as well.
I'm sure someone out there is smiling and thinking, I know the sub for you :D, so lets have it.:)
Budget max of £230. Believe it or not, I am constantly trying to keep on top of 3 rooms all with big tvs, and 5.1 surround. Boston cubes in one room and Tannoys in another. Thats why I can't really afford to go nuts in one room alone!

mojogoes

Remembered (1961-2016)
Hi all,

My trusty Mordaunt Short MS309 sub has started playing up, and after checking here, it seems it was always destined to do so.
Having started to look at replacements I'm now unsure what to go for. I do want secondhand though.
Currently have an Onkyo txr n515 receiver, powering the 309 and the MS Premier 5.1 speakers. The amp runs to a 40" Samsung LCD and a Panasonic PTAe4000 projector to a 120" screen.

Been looking around Ebay etc, and have seen a BK Gemini 2 at decent money, and may look at bidding on an REL T5.

Basically, I'm not looking to break the bank, but want something at least as good as the MS 309 or even slightly better if I can manage it.

Therefore 10" cone, and 140w of power, although I know smaller output and cone can deliver decent results as well.
I'm sure someone out there is smiling and thinking, I know the sub for you :D, so lets have it.:)
Budget max of £230. Believe it or not, I am constantly trying to keep on top of 3 rooms all with big tvs, and 5.1 surround. Boston cubes in one room and Tannoys in another. Thats why I can't really afford to go nuts in one room alone!

How large is your room

Pauli 363

Its about 16 foot x 15 foot.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom