1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub advice please

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by HMHB, Oct 13, 2004.

1. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,981
    I have recently bought a Denon 3805 and a Castle centre speaker and Castle Satellites to go with my existing Castle Avon floorstanding front speakers. I do get quite a lot of bass with movies already, but have been told that a sub would still make a lot of difference. I have noticed that, to my ears, music DVDs can sound a little strange and quite often better using the Stereo track.
    What sub would people recommend ? I may be tempted to part with £600-£700.
    Also, having read the setup section on the Rel website, I am now not sure if I want to go through all the hassle of setting up a sub (I hate having to set up things like this) is it really as difficult as it seems ? Would I be better of getting someone in to set it up for me, or would they charge through the nose for this service ?
    Thanks

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I would have a look at Rel, MJ acoustics and B&W. If you can wait you can get some real bargains importing from the USA. Try SVS and Rocket. Even after postage, import duty and vat the subs are fantastic value.
    IMHO its not worth getting someone in to set your sub up for you unless its a mate and you can pay them with beer and pizza :D and a film:D

Have a look here and type 'subwoofer' into the search panel.
    http://www.soundsexpensive.com/home.htm
    Or
    www.svsubwoofers.com
    http://www.av123.com/

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,338
    Given that 007 seems to have bought a monster for £601 a thread or so down it might be worth looking at that.

4. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Or maybe considering a pair of SVS PB10-ISDs (theres a couple of threads on here about them). I've just ordered 2 and expect that even with VAT and Duty they will cost less than £700.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    007 lives in USA so doesn't have the carriage, duty and Vat to pay that we would.

John, if you don't have space constraints I would say that for £600 to £700 you couldn't do better than an SVS 20-39 PC plus but they strictly for the purist who puts sound quality above appearance.

Both Gonzo and I have that model and you are certainly most welcome to come here and listen to mine whenever you want. If you wait a couple of weeks I will hopefully also have an SVS PB-10 which you can listen to as well.

Either sub will make one hell of a difference to your movie experience and will also add more than just extra depth to music.

6. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,981
    Excellent mate thanks :thumbsup:
    I think I'll wait until you get the other one in and listen to both.