1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub advice needed

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Noel, Dec 18, 2000.

1. Noel

Noel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi, I'm a new member and I'm after a bit of learned counsel. I'm looking to upgrade my subs but I'm not sure what to go for. The system is:

Infocus LCD projector/Sony 41" RPTV
    Sony STRDB930 amp
    Pioneer DV717 DVD player
    B&W 603 front, CC6 centre, 601 rear
    2 x Yamaha YST45 subs

I also use a Marantz CD recorder/player but turn the subs off for 2 channel CD playback at the moment - the subs don't work too well for 2 channel stereo!

The room is around 28ft x 13ft and it's dedicated for home cinema/TV watching and I'm not happy with the power or the depth of the subs. I've been told that REL subs work well with B&W speakers, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to start on this one. Anyone made this upgrade or know of a dealer in the North West or England that allows weekend home demos?

Thanks in advance, hope you can help!

------------------
    "I did not get where I am today by letting some snot-nosed punk leave my cheese out in the wind"

2. Mad Max

Mad Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have B&W's 305's & 302's, and just bought a REL Q100E... they merry perfectly ! Have a great sound, both in Audio and HC. I like a sub to go very low, but don't like it to be too present... In HC, scenes with a lot of sub bass frequencies literally come to life. When I listen to audio, I hardly notice the sub is there, until I switch it off... I took some time twinkling with the sub settings, and now I'm happy with it.

For the 600 B&W series, I'd recomend a Storm III... I auditioned it, and it sounded almost perfect... (Even though the salesman always exagerated on the cutoff (Too high for my taste.

I will eventually upgrade my mains and center to 600 series, and will buy a second sub, to marry it [​IMG]

Hope this helps

------------------
    An adult is just a kid with expensive toys.

Rui

3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,412
    I know a bit about subwoofers.
    REL subs will go nicely with your system. Check out www.rel.net for info on dealers. Most should allow home trials. And REL subs were originally built to enhance stereo, so hopefully you will find a REL sub will be suitable for music and movies.

[This message has been edited by Spectre (edited 19-12-2000).]

4. Noel

Noel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the replies - I'll get on the case at the weekend and see if I can get an "Over Christmas" demo. It seems I was on the right track with REL......

Cheers.

------------------
    "I did not get where I am today by letting some snot-nosed punk leave my cheese out in the wind"