1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub advice needed please

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by cameronl, Nov 2, 2003.

1. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi there all, I now need a new sub to replace my recently dead Kef 2005.1 sub.

I'm looking to spend no more than 350 (would prefer 300) and I don't mind if its second hand or not.

I was thinking the Rel Quake becuse it is small (I live in a small apartment) but I'm wondering whether it would still be too small?

It has to look nice, be smallish, sound good for both music and movies and if at all possible having a side firing woofer as I'm on the top floor and would prefer the sound to 'thud' into my side wall as oposed to the floor.

I also like the idea of the Kef 3000 sub as it kinda of looks like my old sub and has a remote :D

thanks everyone.

CaM

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The REL Quake certainly wouldn't be too small and neither would it's similar looking competitor the MJ Acoustics Pro 50 which to my ears sounded better.

Both are downward firing however if you placed it on a granite or marble plinth it would help cut down the noise transmitted through your floor as well as improve the quality of the bass on offer

3. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,140
    However Downward firing subs are harder to intergrate in certain rooms, so make sure you can get a home demo. The last few subs i have owned were downward firing and didn't work that well in my room, however i have changed to a forward firing sub and the improvements are immense, so get a home demo.

4. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    thanks for the info guys :)

CaM