Sub advice - BK or similar?

blahblahblah

Standard Member
Thanks to @Gasp3621 for the advice on my previous thread, I'm upgrading my setup to a 5.1.2 with:
Kef Q150 L&R
Kef Q250c centre
Kef 3001's satellites
Fisual IC80 x 2 in the ceiling
(havn't bought all the above yet, will do slowly as I spot deals)

Lastly, the sub. The plan was to go for a SVS, but reading up on subs I've found that my money will go much further with something from BK Electronics.
Will mainly be used for TV shows, movies, youtube, occasional music. I'm thinking a huge sub would be overkill.
I'm considering a Double Gem, Gemini 2, or P12-300SB-PR (all very different, but really not sure which would work best).
Any advice on these? How do they compare? or alternatives?
Top of budget is £450/£500
Room is 4.4m x 3.6m, with the TV in the middle of the longer wall.

D

Deleted member 901590

If you are not massively bothered about astounding output, then I would consider getting and SVS SB1000 Pro (or PB1000 Pro if you can stretch to it). Your x2300 has only the normal Audyssey XT, so you can use the app to measure and then the SVS have on-board EQ to optimise your room response.
I only say this as you may end up buying a BK (or similar) and not being happy with the EQ on the x2300 and then spending more money on EQ (e.g. MiniDSP or a dearer AVR).
Just a suggestion.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks to @Gasp3621 for the advice on my previous thread, I'm upgrading my setup to a 5.1.2 with:
Kef Q150 L&R
Kef Q250c centre
Kef 3001's satellites
Fisual IC80 x 2 in the ceiling
(havn't bought all the above yet, will do slowly as I spot deals)

Lastly, the sub. The plan was to go for a SVS, but reading up on subs I've found that my money will go much further with something from BK Electronics.
Will mainly be used for TV shows, movies, youtube, occasional music. I'm thinking a huge sub would be overkill.
I'm considering a Double Gem, Gemini 2, or P12-300SB-PR (all very different, but really not sure which would work best).
Any advice on these? How do they compare? or alternatives?
Top of budget is £450/£500
Room is 4.4m x 3.6m, with the TV in the middle of the longer wall.

There rarely is overkill with subs. It´s usually that one feels he wants more after short period of time and then you lose money swapping gear so better to get something better straight away than you think you need. You can turn the larger more capable sub down, but you can´t get more from the smaller/lesser one. Think it also as a long term 5-10y purchase.

BK P12-PR would be fine choice, their 2nd best model for movies specifically. Monoprice 10THX would be better and cheaper, but not sure is the depth too much? 480 (H) x 380 (W) x 500 (D) and the BK P12-PR is 400D x 460H x 400W. You will be fine with either product.

New grade-b P12-PR in walnut cheaper:

If you specifically want narrow sub then the Double Gem, but otherwise i would get the P12-PR. Shame you just missed satin black PR for 430£. Here is grade-b Double Gem cheaper, black oak:

If you have couch against rear wall or very close and sit middle against tv then 25% to 40% front wall width looks to give you smoothest response. Either side. So example 25% would be 1,08m from side wall to middle of driver and 33% (1/3) would be 1,48m, i think these may be possible cause you have av-cabinet in the middle. That would mean subwoofer would go between L/R and center channel either side roughly. If you place the sub in either front corner you get bit more grunt, but there is big null around 60-70hz so that is not optimal place for the sub.

blahblahblah

Standard Member
Thanks! For info, here is a plan of the room. Sub placement is where i'd like it to be, depends on how it sounds. 1 and 2 are the ceiling speakers. The sofas will go close to the wall
1638887868002.png

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
As i said if you watch movies mainly in the couch that is opposite to tv and yourself opposite to centre speaker then the corner placement isn´t best if we were to trust in the program (REW - room simulation) which should be fairly accurate regarding nulls. What you can do is spread the main speakers bit more apart (not further than the distance to listener) and try the sub between left main and centre speaker or next to left main speaker.

slim01

Hi sorry to crash a super old thread, just wondering how you got on with the bk as I just got some similar speakers to you (the q550 which I believe have the same size driver).

My budget is a lot less than yours (around £200) but have seen a 10" xls200 mkii 275w rms for £150.
I'm wondering if the bk character is good for music, particularly dance music (the xls200 is a sealed design though, not sure how that effects the sound character.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Hi sorry to crash a super old thread, just wondering how you got on with the bk as I just got some similar speakers to you (the q550 which I believe have the same size driver).

My budget is a lot less than yours (around £200) but have seen a 10" xls200 mkii 275w rms for £150.
I'm wondering if the bk character is good for music, particularly dance music (the xls200 is a sealed design though, not sure how that effects the sound character.

Imo sealed subs are faster and better suited for music.

Not saying a ported sub is rubbish but find them a bit one noted and wooly in the bass. I've owned good ported and sealed subs. They're smaller also.

Ported do have advantages of output and efficiency, and ability to pressurise the room. But if you have a smaller room, demands on loud booms and bangs is lower, or buy a higher end sealed sub they are suitable for movies.

I have a single.13" sub and it copes pretty well in a 7.7 X 3.6 X 2.9 meter room. I've yet to go back to ported version of my sub in this room perhaps it'll fair a lot better, so I'm not writing ported subs off totally.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic 2022 OLED TV hands-on, Picture Settings Discussions, Hi-Fi and AV News & More
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom