Sub advice 2-3k Budget

barnsleyben

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon All,

Could someone offer some advice on what sub to get? You can see from my signature what kit I have so something suitable that fits with this. The RSW12 is good but I feel it is definitely the weak link in my kit by a distance.

I would prefer to buy second user or ex demo

Your thoughts would be appreciated :thumbsup:

Ben

Hi Ben

As you are only in Barnsley then you owe it to yourself to have a demo of Jl Audio subs

Also the new range of MK X series subs are a big step up from the older models and well worth a good demo of

Last edited:
I think it would depend on the size of room you have, how loud you play the system and how important the size and appearance of the sub is.

Hi I am from Barnsley but unfortunately living in London now :/

I do get out and about around the country though quite a bit

I think it would depend on the size of room you have, how loud you play the system and how important the size and appearance of the sub is.

not always overly loud the room is big enough to support the platinum speakers if that gives you an idea?

looks totally unimportant :smashin:

If you are talking new £2-3k you would have the following subs that represent the best options in your price range:

JL Fathom F112 Approx £2800
Paradigm Sub 12 or 15 £2500-3100
KK 12012 £1970
MK X12 £2700

All the above are truly excellent subs and the JL & Paradigm offer an exceptionally high quality standard of finish if you need that in addition to quality bass.

For a curve ball consider a new range of subs offered by the MK sounds UK's distributor Gecko under the name Ultimate subwoofer company.I have just got one of their USC 15's in a basic black vinyl finish which retails at £1395.It is as good as most of the above subs but at a considerable discount. In fact a pair of the USC 15's would undercut all but the KK and would offer a better overall bass experience IMV.

They are available in wood veneer if basic black is not your thing at around £300 extra.They also offer a bespoke service in that the cabinet can be made to your particular design if you so wish to fit in with your rooms style.

If you are talking new £2-3k you would have the following subs that represent the best options in your price range:

JL Fathom F112 Approx £2800
Paradigm Sub 12 or 15 £2500-3100
KK 12012 £1970
MK X12 £2700

All the above are truly excellent subs and the JL & Paradigm offer an exceptionally high quality standard of finish if you need that in addition to quality bass.

For a curve ball consider a new range of subs offered by the MK sounds UK's distributor Gecko under the name Ultimate subwoofer company.I have just got one of their USC 15's in a basic black vinyl finish which retails at £1395.It is as good as most of the above subs but at a considerable discount. In fact a pair of the USC 15's would undercut all but the KK and would offer a better overall bass experience IMV.

They are available in wood veneer if basic black is not your thing at around £300 extra.They also offer a bespoke service in that the cabinet can be made to your particular design if you so wish to fit in with your rooms style.

Hi Mate,

Thanks for the advice, and yeah I'm not really looking to just find subs that are in that price bracket I'm looking for best value for money at that sort of price hence wanting to look at something second user or ex demo.

I heard mixed things about the velodyne DD+15 and was looking at something like that before. I was also told a snippet about a paradigm sub1 but havent been able to find much about that

Gecko are near Newbury in Berkshire so not far from London and have excellent demo facilities I would contact them (Rob/Steve) and go have a listen at their price they can't be beat.

I was also told a snippet about a paradigm sub1 but havent been able to find much about that

I did spot an ex-demo Sub1 a little while ago but it was £3500-£4000. Can't find it again so assume it was sold.

Last edited:
Gecko are near Newbury in Berkshire so not far from London and have excellent demo facilities I would contact them (Rob/Steve) and go have a listen at their price they can't be beat.
I think you should definitely visit Gecko - IIRC they still have a full KK 5.1 setup with the DXD12012, as well as the MK 12", Ultimate Sub Co single 15" and also double 15" (£2300 IIRC?), and they have the awesome 8x18" Octosub and the amazing Steinway Lyndberg setups :)

I would say that the JL Audio subs or the Paradigm subs will make you very happy. If you want to go for a slightly more custom job, then Gecko can do that well.

I have a Paradigm Sub15 and love it. £3100.
As others have stated JL Fathom, I haven't heard one but by all accounts are ace. KK12012.
Gecko Ultimate Sub Company make a dual 15" Whilst BIG it is by far one if the best subs I have ever heard and a favourite of mine..

Last edited:
As you are running PL300s Performance & looks are important then the JL Audio f112 will make a great partner for your speakers, Naturally like most of the subs mentioned will be Superb down low its in the upper bass octave that the f112 will excel. Coupled with a Knowledgeable install team you can't go wrong.

Last edited:
If size isn't an issue a dual 15" will simply have way more headroom than the more expensive f112.

Fundamentally we are talking about moving air and a pair of 15's will move far more air than a single 12".

If size is an issue, and lets face it it usually is then a single 12" JL will outperform anything at its price point IMO

It's not the size, its the way you use it that counts :D

If size isn't an issue a dual 15" will simply have way more headroom than the more expensive f112.

Fundamentally we are talking about moving air and a pair of 15's will move far more air than a single 12".

Bigger does not necessarily mean better!

If you had a play with a bigger one I know you would change your mind.

I can assure you guys the USC dual 15" is incredible. But it ain't small. It does what it says on the tin. If I had a dedicated cinema room a pair of these would be MY choice.
Ooh I forgot to mention we are moving next year so the new abode may well have a dedicated room but that ain't high on the wife's list if priorities re the new house hunt.

we are moving next year so the new abode may well have a dedicated room but that ain't high on the wife's list if priorities re the new house hunt.

All the same the wife must surely see the benefits of finding a house with a basement. :)

All the same the wife must surely see the benefits of finding a house with a basement. :)

I'm in the same boat as you only we have moved to a house with a good size basement, itching to turn it into my batcave:devil: only the boss has other ideas got to spend on other parts of the house first:(

But having said that I would still go for another f112 even now I've got the room.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat as you only we have moved to a house with a good size basement, itching to turn it into my batcave:devil: only the boss as other ideas got to spend on other parts of the house first:(

But having said that I would still go for another f112 even now I've got the room.

At least you have the basement for possible future use. I'd be happy with a spare bedroom!!:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom