Sub 50 inch OLED - LG C1 - Any other options to consider?

darossi

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Whilst there's nothing really wrong with my current set (a 40 inch F6670 Samsung from 2013), I'm looking to get something new because, well.....why not :)

TV is mainly used for Netflix/Now TV and a bit of Freeview. Rarely use the Blu-Ray player these days. I also recently got an Xbox Series S, which whilst looks good on my current set, am sure will be better on a newer set (note - I realise the Series X would be even better, but it's the S I have... for now).

I originally looked at a 43 inch set last year (e.g. the Samsung Q60) but following advice from this forum and others, decided against it. However, I'm now looking at up to 48 inch sets. I really can't go any bigger due to the size of the room.

The 48 inch LG C1 looks like a winner to me, and Currys currently have 10% off which takes the price to £1169. Before I take the plunge, do you think there will be a noticeable difference to my current set in terms of picture quality? I know that increases are less noticeable on 'smaller' sets. And to be fair, people still comment on the picture quality on my current TV even though it's coming up to 10 years old! I like the look of the LG OLED, and if it enhances Netflix/NOW TV viewing and Xbox gaming (to the limits of the Xbox Series S) then I'll likely go for it. But even with the discount, it's a lot of money - so wanted to be sure I'd get noticeable improvements. Would a cheaper (but newer) LCD be something I should consider or would the LG C1 trump all of those even at this screen size?

Thanks for any advice!

Think there are Sony or Philips 48” OLEDs

If you want LCD, Sony 49xh9505 is the best and around £800, maybe less

There will be a big difference, but I wouldn't upgrade on the premise of hoping things like NowTV/Freeview looking better. The real gains will be with Netflix (shows in UHD and HDR) and other streaming services like Amazon.

Physical media and games still remain the highest quality. The series S can output 4k 60hz, or run 2k 120hz and will look better on an OLED.

The C1 is certainly a good choice (or last years CX) if you want some future proofing, and want to use the TV for gaming.

LCD TVs are a different beast altogether, you can save some money looking at the Sony XH9505 mentioned already, which is likely more than good enough for your needs but I'd say the C1 really is in a different class with picture quality in most areas.

The LG C1 is a 2021 model, the CX 2020. If you want to consider newer LCD TVs like the Samsung 50QN90A you can expect to pay top dollar for it at the moment...probably not worth considering that TV until its price comes down a bit.

There will be a big difference, but I wouldn't upgrade on the premise of hoping things like NowTV/Freeview looking better. The real gains will be with Netflix (shows in UHD and HDR) and other streaming services like Amazon.

Physical media and games still remain the highest quality. The series S can output 4k 60hz, or run 2k 120hz and will look better on an OLED.

The C1 is certainly a good choice (or last years CX) if you want some future proofing, and want to use the TV for gaming.

LCD TVs are a different beast altogether, you can save some money looking at the Sony XH9505 mentioned already, which is likely more than good enough for your needs but I'd say the C1 really is in a different class with picture quality in most areas.

The LG C1 is a 2021 model, the CX 2020. If you want to consider newer LCD TVs like the Samsung 50QN90A you can expect to pay top dollar for it at the moment...probably not worth considering that TV until its price comes down a bit.

Thank you for this! Have you any thoughts on this model?

Sony KD43X89JU​

Generally a bad idea to consider any smaller TV. You want to start at 48/49. You're on the right track in the OP looking at the LG C1. If you want a comrpomise between size and quality, look at the 49" Sony XH9505.

So I picked up the 48 LG C1 today. First impressions using out of the box settings:

Netflix/Amazon Prime: Great

Now TV: Great

Xbox Series S: Outstanding

Freesat: Good, but The Fast and Furious was on ITV HD and had SERIOUS soap effect going on, so I need to work out what is best - switch to Cinema mode when movies are on, or switch off Soap Effect altogether (Trumotion or something it’s called it’s called?)

Need to read up on best settings to use etc.

Just need to adjust to the size (coming from a 40 inch)

So I picked up the 48 LG C1 today. First impressions using out of the box settings:

Netflix/Amazon Prime: Great

Now TV: Great

Xbox Series S: Outstanding

Freesat: Good, but The Fast and Furious was on ITV HD and had SERIOUS soap effect going on, so I need to work out what is best - switch to Cinema mode when movies are on, or switch off Soap Effect altogether (Trumotion or something it’s called it’s called?)

Need to read up on best settings to use etc.

Just need to adjust to the size (coming from a 40 inch)
Yeah the default motion settings are never good, although you may find yourself adjusting the preset, or even using the custom preset to fine tune it so you don't get too much stutter, but also not much SOE.

I think Real Cinema is there just fish out the correct frame rate of films, its only needed if you are watching films via an external source that outputs 60hz (in Europe, this is unsual, although you may need to use it with certain apps if they are not properly reporting the correct framer rate to the TV)not sure it ads any interpolation. Those will be the TruMotion presets (Sp).

3 days in and only just realised there's a plastic film across the screen! ha. There were three LG labels stuck on the front that came off quite easily, but didn't even notice there was a film covering the entire screen. I was surprised there wasn't one when I opened it, but turns out there is (or was!). Screen looks even better now :)

EDIT: and the back! 😂😂

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom