1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sub £500 receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by SimonD, Jan 4, 2003.

1. SimonD

SimonD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am trying to decide on a new AV receiver in the sub £500 bracket...

As there are a plethora of choices I decided to narrow it down a bit based on the kit I will be connecting to it (seemed like a good a way to start to me) Obviously I need to go and listen to them before deciding...

Anyhow...

I am aiming for a Plasma screen so I thought an important consideration should be Component out of the AMP...

DENON AVR-1803 £350
    DENON AVR-2802 £475
    ONKYO TX-SR600 £400
    YAMAHA RX-V530 £330
    YAMAHA RX-V630 £380
    YAMAHA RX-V730 £480

Strangely I couldn't find a Marantz amp with Component In/Out?

I also figured that On Screen Display would be a nice feature to have. SWMBO_Points++

This reduced the amps to the following list...

DENON AVR-2802
    ONKYO TX-SR600
    YAMAHA RX-V730

Is the OSD worth the extra £100 or so?

Presumably the DENON AVR-2803 will be out soon, any rumors when?

Have I missed any makes/models to add to the list? The Component In/Out seemed to narrow it down nicely!

2. rjw

rjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Probably not.

I've only ever used the OSD on my receiver once, and that was just out of curiosity to see what it looked like.

3. SimonD

SimonD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new to AV amps so please excuse the ignorance but... Do you not need to change settings very often then? Are they set once and forget? If so then I would agree. I assumed that as they had OSD it would need fiddling with regularly!

Another Q that has just occured to me....
    If I have say 2xComponent in and 1xS-Video in. Do I need to have *both* S-Video *and* Component connected to the Plasma or will the AMP do the necessary convertion to output the S-Video as Component?

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Most AV Amps will not convert between S-Video and Component.

You'll need a set of Component connections and a set of S-Video components.

As for an AV Amp with Component switching ... what do you intend to run with the plasma ... will it just be a DVD player than has component? If so then you can connect the DVD direct to the Plasma, and then just switch other devices though the Amp.

Another thing to note is that at least the Panasonic plasmas, you can't have the Composite Video and S-Video at the same time ... just in case this is important to you.

Hope this helps
    Victoria.

p.s. another Amp to look at is NADs new T752 and T762 amps.

5. harish_kini

harish_kini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why do you want a component out from an AV? Just connect the component out from your DVD to your plasma directly.

HK

6. SimonD

SimonD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply's....

HK,
    The reason for wanting to use component out on the amp is to try and get the best picture from all sources with the least amount of user hassle. Wife usability has to be one of the most important factors as if it is hassle she will not bother to use it.

Victoria,
    I am looking into replacing everything at the moment so want to get the best I can within reason. Budget is basically what I can justify to myself.

I am currently looking at the following...

Viewing - Panasonic (TH42PW5) or Pioneer (Haven't had chance to view the 2 side by side yet)

Recording - Panasonic E30 & Tivo type box or the Panasonic HS2
    Personally I prefer the 2 box solution as it is less to replace if 1 goes down.

Playing - Possibly an additional progressive DVD player to get the best out of playback something like a Limit 9900SE.

Watching - DTT decoder (Nokia 221T) This is the only bit of kit I have purchased sofar! This has RGB (Scart) output so I was thinking of putting a JS box onto this to put component through the AMP and then I can switch using the amp.

Speakers - Err... Yes I'll need some of those! I quite like the Wharfdale LoudPanels for the rears. I don't really want the living room to look like a recording studio. As for fronts/centre I haven't a clue at this stage!

Thanks for the NAD pointer.

I am not sure I understand your comment about the Composite Video and S-Video at the same time. Are you saying that I can't connect the 2 cables at the same time? or that I just can't view 2 different sources at the same time?

Thanks for your help
    Simon

7. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +447
    To be honest, not having a plasma myself, I am unsure exactly what the issues are - but yes, I beleieve that you CAN'T have devices connected to Composite Video and S-Video at the same time.

This is due (iirc) to the two inputs sharing internal circuitry so if both are connected you would get interference.

You may find this link helpful - it is a page showing how to wire an RGB - Plasma cable and also has some other comments.

Victoria

8. SimonD

SimonD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Victoria,

Many thanks for the link. I didn't realise that I couldn't connect all the wires up at the same time. It is good to know, it will save me a lot of chasing into the wall!

It also makes it more important for me to try and get all one type of output on the devices connected.
    e.g. all S-Video or all RGBS or all RGBHV etc.
    Unless I also buy one of those programmable remotes which do macros, I can't see us wanting to press half a dozen buttons on the various remotes to change from one source to another!

From what I read on that site, it sounds as though to go from true RGBHV to RGBS (with the Sync on AV) I will need to go into settings menu and change it manually. That is not acceptable to me.

Why can't these things be simple! I've got 3 months to make my mind up, buy the kit, install cables and decorate the room (before the sofa arrives!) At the rate I am climbing the learning curve of this AV stuff I'll just end up buying a normal TV and not bothering with surround sound!

Thanks again for your help
    Simon

9. pwhite8314

pwhite8314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simon

If it's any consolation I'm in exactly the same boat. At one point I'd made up my mind on the Pio, but popular opinion is the Panny, however I have the same usability requirements as you, and can't have lots of cables going into the back of the plasma.

Having thouroughly researched what screen (and that's a mine field in itself), I'm now looking at new amps to control the AV switching. Only problem is my 36" TV goes this weekend, so I'll be watching a 14" until I make my mind up and find somwhere that has stock of whatever I want.

It's a nice problem to have, but it's still a pain!

10. SimonD

SimonD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pete,

I know what you mean regards the screen. I have settled (at the moment) on the Panny. Having said that I did get chance to view a Samsung 42" at Richer Sounds yesterday and was very impressed with the picture quality!

As for the AMP I have no idea until I get chance to try the side-by-side. Although I have decided to go for the cheaper end of the ones listed above without the OSD. I will probably get one of those programmable remotes with the money saved as I can't see me messing about with the OSD too often. Hopefully I can make some macros in the programmable remote to set the amp for DVD or Playstation or TV etc.

It will proabably got for one of...

DENON AVR-1803
    YAMAHA RX-V530
    YAMAHA RX-V630

Next stop is speakers!

11. pwhite8314

pwhite8314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did have a Pronto to do the macros, but it didn't get wife approval, so it was sold. You've been warned!;) Having done yet more reading, I *think* I'm settling on the Panny screen with RCA terminal board, with s-video switched via the amp, and DVD connected directly to the components on the screen.

I wish the TU-PT600B didn't have such a crap reputation, that would make things a whole lot easier for me (my plasma location doesn't allow for much in the way of cables).

I'll also get the Limit prog scan DVD from RS as my old DVD player's going back tomorrow on the RS 3year/50% deal.

Now I just need to find a way to make the amp nice and user friendly.

12. SimonD

SimonD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pete,

IIRC you cannot connect an S-Video cable AND Component cables to the Panny at the same time as they will cause interference with each other. It is either/or I'm afraid! That is why I wanted component switching on the Amp.
    I bet that really helped your decision :rolleyes:

I picked up a Limit 9900SE from RS yesterday, that was an easy choice :) I have tested it with PS (To the point that my current TV will not display it) and have tested VCD & SVCD I am testing the MR bit tomorrow hopefully.

What did the wife not like about the Pronto?

13. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi SimonD

Just before you buy you maybe interested at looking at the prices for some of your specified amps at Empire Direct:

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/Productlist.asp

Look excellent, even beat RS on one or two, especially if you get their price match/promise, so should be £10 less.

I have been looking at the Yammy DS PA X630 inc delivery it is only £277.82 £12 cheaper than RS = £268 from RS.

The Denon 1803 Comes out at £294.76, cheapest I've seen, they don't even have a price at RS yet!! @ 14:30 today.

Hope it helps

Regards

7ThGuest :)

14. pwhite8314

pwhite8314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Things not liked about Pronto:

1. The price (or at least the price when she found out how much it really cost! I got it vack when they were still £250ish

2. Size - clunky, and heavy when it falls of the arm of the sofa

3. I agree with this one - no tactile feeedback. Most the buttons are just touch-sensitive, which, if you're used to regular remotes, can take a lot of adjustment. THis sounds daft, and I hardly ever see anyone else complaining about it, but from my point of view, I can pick up just about any of my remotes and operate them without needing to look at them. With the Pronto, you have to look at the screen to see what you're pressing. THink about this one the next time you pick up one of your own remotes....

15. xio

xio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably a dumb question, but why not daisychain everything into the DVD using RGB Scart and then convert the output from the DVD into the necessary and send it to the plasma in one lead?

16. SimonD

SimonD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    7thGuest, Many thanks for the pointers, good prices!

Pete, Thanks for the feedback wrt Pronto, I will bear those in mind. I have never really thought about the feedback.

xio, There are no dumb questions!
    The main reason for me is that the Limit 9900 SE DVD player does not have a scart in socket. My DTV box does not accept RGB in either so I cannot chain them the otherway around (without loosing quality)