Sub £500 LCD advice

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Eee-Tee, Sep 21, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Eee-Tee

Eee-Tee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys,

Looking to buy my first LCD.
    I'm looking to spend max £500, so am aware of the quality that would have.
    It would be used for terrestrial TV and DVDs, and I have a few questions that hopefully some of you can answer :)

I'm aware that for the amount of money I'm willing to spend, assuming I want a 32", the big brands are out, but as I said above, this isn't much of an issue for me, unless the quality suffers. So I'm after the best quality for the money, from some of the smaller brands, so if any models come recommended, I would appreciate knowing.

How do the packages rate. Argos do the wharfdale's in 26 or 32, with about £100 saving from buying separate. Since I'm starting from scratch (no stand/ DVD recorder), perhaps this is a good start for me?

I've read that quality with +32" often isn't as good than compared with a CRT. Since I'm sticking with Terrestrial/ Freeview, is this noticable. Are larger sizes more appropriate with Sky/ etc HD?

Similarly, would I be OK using my old VHS recorder, until perhaps getting a DVD recorder at a later date, or due to the increased size, would the quality not be up to much?

And re: connecting the LCd to laptop, what connectors do I need. My laptop has S-Video, and a 15pin (monitor?) connection. What cables are needed. Is it just a case of S-Vid-S-Vid?

Anyway, that's all for now, thanks for reading this far, and I look forward to any replies :thumbsup:

2. ChrisGgr

ChrisGgr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,499
    The best connection is a DVI-HDMI or a VGA cable.Does your laptop has DVI?Anyway you can have a look at Toshiba 32C3030 or Samsung LE-32R87 or the Sony KDL-32S3000 for 519£

3. Eee-Tee

Eee-Tee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry, what does DVI look like? Not sure if i have it
    If anyone can answer any of my other Qus, would appreciate it :thumbsup:

4. ChrisGgr

ChrisGgr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,499
    DVI looks like this

Attached Files:

5. Eee-Tee

Eee-Tee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, that seems to have more than 15pins, so I guess I dont have DVI
    So what are my options then?

6. davejm

davejm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    It'll have a 15pin VGA socket... which will be fine for any TV that you choose. You'd just need a VGA cable...

[​IMG]

The 3 TV's Chris mentioned are decent TV's. £500 is a good budget for a 32" TV as you're able to get one of the branded sets that are currently leading the way at the moment.

7. Eee-Tee

Eee-Tee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers, so just to clarify, it is a VGA that I would plug into on the LCD- does it go by another name?
    Don't recall reading that on the specs. eg http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0870429/Trail/C%24cip%3D1500006565.Sound%2Band%2Bvision%3EC%24cip%3D1500006586.Televisions%3EC%24cip%3D1500006587.LCD%2Band%2Bplasma%2Btelevisions%3EFC%24Brands%3DToshiba.Toshiba.htm this one is listed with 2 HDMI sockets.2 SCART sockets, PC input socket, Component video socket, Optical connection, Side AV socket. I know that HDMI is for eg a HDDVD player, SCART for eg VHS, but what about the others? What socket on the laptop would I need for the PC input. And some have S-video. Would I not be able to connect with this, or is VGA superior?
    Cheers

8. davejm

davejm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    The PC input that the spec refers to is a 15pin VGA port. The same as the one on the PC. So you'd need a 15pin male to male VGA cable to connect them up (not sure why I linked to a picture of a male to female before, hehe).

[​IMG]

9. Eee-Tee

Eee-Tee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ah, so they are both the same thing? Just to make it a bit more confusing :rolleyes: So what if its not listed with a PCIn, as some of the cheaper ones haven't, eg http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5292882/Trail/C%24cip%3D1500006565.Sound%2Band%2Bvision%3EC%24cip%3D1500006586.Televisions%3EC%24cip%3D1500006587.LCD%2Band%2Bplasma%2Btelevisions%3EFC%24Brands%3DAcoustic+Solutions.Acoustic%2BSolutions.htm
    Is VGA=Component video?
    You see, I want to make sure- would hate to buy one and find was not able to connect them up ;)

10. davejm

davejm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Component is different to VGA. I think you can get cables/converters, but you'd be better off finding a TV that has a VGA port as the processing on that source will be tailored for a PC connection.