sub £400 42" bedroom TV needed -low light and wide view angle needed!

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Cow Man, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Cow Man

Cow Man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

Firstly, great forums, Im a long time lurker - this place helped me decide on my main tv, panny 50" st50b and calibrate it - great set I got just over a year ago and its fantastic!

Now its time to replace the bedroom set. At the moment, its an old 32" JVC CRT.

We are looking for the following:

- 42" - give or take a few inches if theres a good deal, must be full HD 1080p.

- Needs to be good for movies in low light / near dark bedroom

- Ideally needs to be at the £400 price point as a maximum!

- MUST have really good viewing angle

Now I know we have been spoilt by the lovely deep blacks, amazing view angles and lovely low light performance of the panny plasma, but does such a thing, LCD or plasma, exists at the £400 price point that you think we will be happy with!

Ive had a look on my old favorite richer sounds, and there are loads of LCD tvs around there, not any plasma that are full hd at £400 and 42"?? And I just have NO idea if any of the LCDs are any good re viewing angle, low light performance etc.

If it has freesat HD that would be great, using sky freeview at moment, and resigned to getting a sky HD box to go with it, as well as a soundbar. Probably off topic, but if anyone can recommend a great sound bar for £99 ish, that would also be great!

If I need to spend a bit more, what would that get ?

Thanks for looking, any and all input welcome :)

The cow man

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  2. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Plasma if you want good performance in low light and a wide viewing angle

£400 will get you a 720p model. No chance of Freesat at that price level

If you like a Panasonic plasma and aren't really that fussed about full HD (not sure why tyou'd need it for a bedroom TV when most of your material isn't 1080p native). You'll be sorely disappointed by a £400 42" I'm afraid on all fronts - blacks, motion handling, sound and viewing angle

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-txp42x50b/pana-txp42x50b

£350, leaves you some more for a soundbar (do you really need one in a bedroom??) or a Freesat receiver

£600 for a 42ST50B at RS. The lower 42UT50 would be cheaper but very few and far between

Otherwise, second hand 1080p plasma might be an option

3. Cow Man

Cow Man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thx for the input vickster!

1024 x 768 sadly is nowhere near even 720p, is what that cheap panny linked offers :(
    IF it was indeed 720p, 1280x720, I might be tempted....but 1024x768 is pretty nasty at that size...i dont know how they can peddle these low rez screens at that size

The source material will be mostly all be 1080p, from my large HD movie collection :)

re soundbar - from all TVs I have seen, the sound on them is dire. Want the 5.1 style from soundbar thrown across the room please, if im going to go the whole hog changing this old CRT to be our second movie room! :)

So at 1024 rez the cheap £350 plasma is, i think, out. And the £600 for 42" well over budget. The 42ut50 now that I have not seen, will go see if I can see any for sale anywhere and check it out!

Anyone else have any ideas IF indeed there are £400 lcd that can do the job here?

thx!

PS budget was along lines of £400 for tv with a further £150 put aside for sound / ebay sky hd / freesat box etc.

PPS - I should really have clarified - although its a TV for the bedroom, its a large bedroom, my partner is recovering from stroke sat up in electric bed, and shes in bed a lot, and Im generally on sofa in there too. So its not really a watch for 30 mins before sleeping bedroom telly, its more like a 2nd lounge in function...hope that makes more sense now as to why im after what im after!

4. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921