• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Answered Sub £400 40-50in

tellie

Novice Member
Hi there,

We have an old and terrible TV (32in), and thanks to a cheeky toddler we're going for wall-mounting, so now seems to be the time to upgrade. Don't want to spend more than £400, and would like it to be at least 40in. We sit about 2m from the TV, and won't be able to use a soundbar. I have slightly dodgy hearing, so decent (for the price speakers) are important to me. I realise that we're not going to be looking at 4k or HDR at this price point!

We live in an area with terrible TV reception, and so mostly watch TV on catch-up services, DVDs, and netflix streams.

Argos has the Sony Bravia KDL48WD653 for £349 -- any better suggestions? The Hisense
H50M3300 also looks somewhat tempting!

Thanks for any help!

Dodgexander

I would look at the Samsung K5500/K5600 or even better a Second hand plasma/refurb LCD of one or two years ago like the Sony W75XC series or Samsung J6300.

You won't really benefit from UHD at that distance and SD material will look poor also so I would look only at FHD TVs.

tellie

Novice Member
Thanks for this! You think the Samsung K5600 is better than the Sony Bravia I mentioned?

I would go for refurb but don't really have time to go secondhand shopping unfortunately, planning to get it mounted this weekend. The K5600 is £420 in Currys, very tempted...

tellie

Novice Member
Thanks! How much does the viewing angle apply to 'up and down' too? Since it will be wall mounted it will be slightly higher than our heads.

Dodgexander

Vertically viewing angles of VA type tv's are actually better, although you won't likely have a problem with either if its only a slight angle. You should also aim to angle the tv towards your seating position if you can find a wall mount that does that.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom