• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sub £400 32" LCD TV's

flyingscotno1

Hi guys

Got a 26" Sony T3000 currently in the bedroom which is excellent, one of the best 26" LCD TV's I've seen.

Currently looking for as the title says a new 32" TV and with the current financial stuff, wanting to spend sub £400.

Not greatly impressed with Sony's current 32" range despite liking them and the 26" TV I have, and Panasonic is excellent but seems out of price range in the main.

Quite like the LG 32LG300 which at £350 gets good reviews, but does anybody have any other suggestions?

Mundu

I'm in the same boat as you but I haven't ruled out the 32V400. You can get the Panasonic Viera 32" TX-32LXD80 for £400 from play or the 32LXD85 for the same price at Roy Jowetts.

matttr6

I'm in the same boat (although I'm downgrading from a 37"). I'm liking the look of the Samsungs and I've read good reviews.

bydandie

I'd recommend the Sharp LC-32D44 which with 6ms response, great Freeview,, good sound and good motion handling is a great telly at 329 from Richer Sounds

flyingscotno1

I'd recommend the Sharp LC-32D44 which with 6ms response, great Freeview,, good sound and good motion handling is a great telly at 329 from Richer Sounds

Thanks, I'll look at Sharps, they seen fairly good when I've been looking.

Samsung TV's have never greatly appealed, I've heard bad things about sound quality.

boxrick

Thanks, I'll look at Sharps, they seen fairly good when I've been looking.

Samsung TV's have never greatly appealed, I've heard bad things about sound quality.

From my experience the sharp is does not have great sound quality... picture aint bad though.

You mention the 32LG3000 in the first thread.... that is a fairly decent television. Sound is good and for an LCD is actually pretty underrated...

However id look at its plasma older brother the LG 32PG6000 its an excellent screen for the money... probably the best at SD in 32", no viewing angles and deals with motion very well.

I use mine for everything from HD DVDs to freesat and xbox 360 gaming.... my older LCDs only dissapointed me. Available for £400.

Dune

From my experience the sharp is does not have great sound quality... picture aint bad though.

I'd agree with that. We have one and the picture and freeview are very good but the sound is a bit tinny. You can tweak it a bit but it isn't as good as the Panasonic plasma we have downstairs.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

Monarch

Distinguished Member

You mention the 32LG3000 in the first thread.... that is a fairly decent television. Sound is good and for an LCD is actually pretty underrated...

However id look at its plasma older brother the LG 32PG6000 its an excellent screen for the money... probably the best at SD in 32", no viewing angles and deals with motion very well.

I use mine for everything from HD DVDs to freesat and xbox 360 gaming.... my older LCDs only dissapointed me. Available for £400.

32PG6000 :thumbsup: glad to see your helping me in getting the LCD users over to plasma :D haha, how do you find gaming on it? IR and all that jazz, helpful to me and the OP im sure

bydandie

I'd agree with that. We have one and the picture and freeview are very good but the sound is a bit tinny. You can tweak it a bit but it isn't as good as the Panasonic plasma we have downstairs.

Dave

I find the sound OK, maybe my aural range isn't developed enough. It isn't as good as my Panasonic in the main room, but few TVs are as good as that! :)

Monarch

Distinguished Member
I find the sound OK, maybe my aural range isn't developed enough. It isn't as good as my Panasonic in the main room, but few TVs are as good as that! :)

This is something that comes with expert reviews as well, a lot of experts are telling you about things that you wont even notice, I was hesitant to buy the Panny PX80 because which? said that the sound was pretty bad, i think its good though...You need to think about how much youre actually going to notice these things, which makes the whole proccess more difficult

Monarch

Distinguished Member

Monarch

Distinguished Member
yea, as i said before, you'll get a decent picture with a Toshiba, it will be a good TV but for even better quality you should go elsewhere. Saying that it depends how much you notice certain things, some people (although nearly everyone can) wont notice the difference between a £200 LCD with a pretty poor picture and a £600 Panasonic or Sony with a much better picture.

However, for a 32" in you're price range you're better off getting a 720p TV as there is no need for 1080p unless you're going to use it as a PC monitor, that way you can get a better SD PQ for less

Lunar Wolf

I've got the Toshiba 32AV555. Very good picture. Bought from Amazon - great price and no problems at all.

the 32AV does give an excellent picture, was looking at it last night in a tesco store it was sitting next to an LG 32" plasma both playing Clone wars via cheap DVD players, no contest really the colours and sharpness of the Toshiba gave a smooth beautiful picture.

boxrick

the 32AV does give an excellent picture, was looking at it last night in a tesco store it was sitting next to an LG 32" plasma both playing Clone wars via cheap DVD players, no contest really the colours and sharpness of the Toshiba gave a smooth beautiful picture.

I can say having both sat in my home the other night the LG plasma walks all over it... it definately was not set up right ( which these plasmas are NOT ) out of the box. :smashin:

j0hn

Banned
yea I dont know how anyone can choose between two tvs in a shop SET UP BY SOMEONE ELSE to a less than calibrated standard. Makes me wonder if sometimes they want to sell one over the other so they deliberatly de tune the other... hmmm ?

Always ask for the remote and fiddle fiddle fiddle.

Lunar Wolf

That won't help the low res screen on the LG plasma, thats why it looked rough compaired to the AV. Colours can be tweaked sure but its not something that will help with those stretched rectangle pixels giving poor colour, there are alot of strong colours in Clone wars, solid reds and blues and they all looked like they had black lines running through them vertically due to the unlit sub pixels.

737,280 stretched pixels VS 1,049,088 uniform square pixels wonder which one is going to look better...

Last edited:

bobbe79

damn! after sweating all week about it I settled on the Toshiba Regza 32CV505 and now I'm contemplating not only an LG but a PLASMA! :suicide:

I've always just assumed my first swith from CRT would be to an LCD as I've heard they're better for gaming, but now I've heard that plasma is better for movies & sport, which I probably watch more than I do gaming.

So on which set would SD & HD tv look better?

and WHY would I go for the plasma and not the lcd? :rolleyes:

Monarch

Distinguished Member
yea I dont know how anyone can choose between two tvs in a shop SET UP BY SOMEONE ELSE to a less than calibrated standard. Makes me wonder if sometimes they want to sell one over the other so they deliberatly de tune the other... hmmm ?

Always ask for the remote and fiddle fiddle fiddle.

Plus the plasma will often look worse in stores, even the best one, because LCDs thrive on bright lighting conditions whereas plasmas really stand out in dim light, like that of an average home in the evenings. And can Lone Wolf please stop trying to destroy the LG, I have seem both in store and the Tosh looked better, but I've seen both in homes and the LG looks better because of the settings being adjusted and because of it being in suitable lighting conditions.

Basically different people think different things, Lone Wolf appears to be absolutely convinced that the 32PG6000 is a terrible TV but you cant help seeing how many people think it contests the panny plasmas and absolutely slaughter the LCDs in the same price range at PQ

Monarch

Distinguished Member
damn! after sweating all week about it I settled on the Toshiba Regza 32CV505 and now I'm contemplating not only an LG but a PLASMA! :suicide:

I've always just assumed my first swith from CRT would be to an LCD as I've heard they're better for gaming, but now I've heard that plasma is better for movies & sport, which I probably watch more than I do gaming.

So on which set would SD & HD tv look better?

and WHY would I go for the plasma and not the lcd? :rolleyes:

I had the same thoughts about going from CRT to LCD but now ive found myself to become a plasma man. Basically plasmas offer better blacks and more accurate colour reproduction. After going to plasma i now think that LCDs look cartoony. Plasmas work much better in dim light so if youre going to be using it in really bright (like in shops) conditions then an LCD is better, however, and average living room is plasma friendly.

Plasmas handle motion better too, there is no motion blur but there can be phosphorus trailing where there is a green trail following things, however, this doesnt happen much on the LGs and for me its not that noticeable on the bad sets for it. You also get Image Retention and screen burn on plasmas, this is where you get a faint outline of an image if that image is static on the screen for a long time, IR is only temporary and will wash out easily enough, screen burn isnt a problem as long as you dont have any 10 hour gaming sessions on something with a bright and permanent image in the corner. LGs suffer from IR more than the expensive plasmas but the general thought (among regular people) is that its only noticeable if you go right up to the screen and actively search it out on a completely black display and it washes out if you put some regular TV on for 5 - 10 minutes.

Personally, plasma is my preference, you need to take a little more care of plasmas but i think that the PQ is better, particaulrly on SD and movies where they walk all over LCDs in my opinion. Quoted power consumptions are also a bit of a lie, average useage is actually a lot lower because you dont always watch a completely white screen :thumbsup:

bobbe79

Nice little flash demo of the LG here: LG 32PG6000 LG 32-PG-6000- £395.95

But wouldn't the 1024 X 720 Pixels Resolution on the LG be noticeably inferior compared to the Tosh's 1,366 x 768?

Monarch

Distinguished Member
Nice little flash demo of the LG here: LG 32PG6000 LG 32-PG-6000- £395.95

But wouldn't the 1024 X 720 Pixels Resolution on the LG be noticeably inferior compared to the Tosh's 1,366 x 768?

no...although lunar wolf will tell you otherwise

but no, it wont. The SD picture on the LG slaps the Tosh's with a wet fish! its closer for HD but the LG still produces a better image in my opinion, that difference in resolution wont make any difference to your viewing unless you get really close up so dont worry about it. Generally dont worry about resolution, at 32" it doesnt matter much, as long as its HD ready you'll be good :thumbsup:

Some questons;
Whats your viewing going to consist of?
Viewing distance?
Lighting condition etc...?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom