1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub £3000 pj.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by booktrunk, Jul 29, 2005.

1. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

I know there are some nice projectors at around £3500ish but i'm hoping to spend less but still get a decent and HD projector.

Depending on if I want LCD or DLP is there much point in spending more than say £1000 on a Panasonic AE700 or £1500 on a BenQ PE7700?

I cannot see much better than either in each category unless I start spending serious amounts of money?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    With that sort of budget the Sony HS50 rather then the AE700 should be on your list.

Have you seen a modern PJ in action, in the proper conditions? If not I think you'll be seriously impressed with the "bang you can get for your buck" with the likes of the HS50 and 7700.

..PJ :)

3. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hiya,

Not seen the Sony in action. Sounds like I should give it a demo.

With regard to the quality that's why I think it's £1500 that i'm going to spend at most :)

It's the law of diminishing returns :) Now that the £1500 pj's are so good you pay a hell of a lot more for only a small increase in quality.

But I think from your post you agree with me that it's not worth spending more than £1500.

My partner is along the lines of but the 3.5k pj's are really nice, but to me the extra 2k saved on a £1500 pj could buy a hell of a lot of DVD's :)

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Agree. And if I had 3K, I'd rather spend 1.5K now then another 1.5K in 2 or 3 years time when a 1.5K PJ will out-gun a PJ you'd pay more than 3.5K for now.... if that makes sense!!...PJ :)

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    booktrunk

As of 1st August the ThemeScene H78 has a UK SRP of £3k and now includes the HD2+ DC3 chip set.

You must be tempted!

Best regards

Joe

6. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I'm tempted :)

Is anywhere actually selling the H78 at £3k (or less) yet? (I know I'm a day early)

I see your site has it at £3.5k, as does all the other ones I've looked at.

Preferably I'd want a supplier who will do a 14 day return, as I'd be buying it blind and don't know if I suffer from rainbow effects (or worse, rainbow headaches).

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Hello fraggle

The web sites usually about six months out of date - plenty of time yet to revisit the ThemeScene page :)

I'll PM you about the rest of your questions!

Best regards

Joe

8. squibbly

squibbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Joe

Put me right here. Obviously, there's quite a lot of interest in the new HD2+DC3 H78 at the reduced price. Seems a sensible move by Optoma, though we'd all like it lower of course :) .

However, I recall a dealer citing here that one of the reasons we weren't going to get an Optoma H79 was because Optoma didn't want to put all the effort into optimising the H79 DC3 for PAL, in the same way that they'd had to do on the early versions of the H77 DC2 (which suffered from quite bad clayface when it first came out - I saw this myself at an early demo). Has this problem suddenly been overcome? Or am I misremembering? Or will the new H78 suddenly have clayface problems? Presumably all HD2+DC2 machines will now need to have their chips replaced with that chip being extinct, not just the H78?

Anyone seen the H78 DC3 yet? Sounds like they've already been shipped out.

Squibbly

9. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I recon they're shifting the remaining stocks of the H78. I suppose if they ordered enough components to make (say) 100,000 units, and the DC2 chips ran out at 80,000, they'd want to use the rest of the components, even after tweeking the pjs to take the DC3 chip.

Once those have been built, sold and shipped I think we'll then see the H79 appear, which I guess will basically be a H78 with DC3, new case, revised pcb design maybe, but not much difference.

Anyway, re. the clayface problems, I can't imagine the company making the same mistake twice. Making it once would have done the company enough damage.

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Hello all

I reckon we need to call in Gill Grissom or the US Senate to look into the subterfuge Optoma/ThemeScene is accused of peddling :)

The team at Optoma UK have ensured the HD2+ DC3 chip works well in the H78 chassis with PAL and NTSC source material.

I thought everyone would be happy that the H78 now has the DC3 chip and a reduced price!!!

Best regards

Joe

11. squibbly

squibbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the assurance Joe

It was your earlier post here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189885&highlight=H79+PAL

that had me worried. That and the implication in recent threads that the end of DC2 production may have caught Optoma on the hop (that was just me reading between the lines, though).

But if they've sorted it, they've sorted it.

Squibbly