1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub £200 digital camera

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by mab25, Apr 29, 2003.

1. mab25

mab25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Can anybody reccomend a good digital camera for my brother that is less than £200 preferably with batteries and media.

I have a finepix 2600z and would therefore recommens the A204 , but would appreciate otehr peoples opinions on other makes.

His main requirements are

2mp - min
    Optical Zoom

Thanks, M

2. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    To start things off:
    I've just bought a Nikon 2500 as a second camera from Dixons for £149. Its 2mp, 3x optical zoom, compact flash, and fits in your pocket. So far the results are damn good for such a cheap camera.

You can also get spare batteries on ebay for about 20quid. It only comes with a tiny (8 or 16meg) card but you can get a 128meg card for £25 and that'll be good for 130 odd pics at maximum res and minimum compression. Theres a good review here

Manual controls are fairly sparse, but if you only want a point and shoot i'd certainly recommend taking a look.

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Use Nickel Metal Hydride batteries (NIM-H) as they are alot higher current, normal Nicad's don't last very long in digital cameras.

About £1 to £2 for one AA, depending on capacity. Start off around 1300mah, and go upto 1700/1800mah.

4. mab25

mab25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys.

Tomson - was that camera on special offer ? Its £149 at dixons and pc-world but everywhere else it seems to be £250 - £300.

Thanks, M.

5. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Yep its a special offer - a lot of places have run out but there are still some around - Get them to do a search on their computer thingy. Got mine in the Bond Street store.

6. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
  7. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Try the Olympus C300 zoom (3mp, 3 x optical zoom) at £190 here: http://www.digitalfirst.co.uk/camdetail.asp?cat=Cameras&ProdID=502

Or how about the Kodak DX4330 (3mp, 3 x optical zoom) at £190 also: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006IJK3/ref=sr_aps_electronics_1_1/026-6655755-7454038

For a little more (£238), the Canon Powershot A70 offers more flexibility than the two above: http://www.buyacamera.co.uk/xsearch.asp?RecId=CANCA250

If he can stretch to £270 though, I'd agree that the Minolta S414 is a cracking buy.

Matt.

8. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    The Minolta is available here for £256.99 including a 2 year warrany. The Minoltas eat batteries so (like nathan silly says) get yourself some good ones - I run my S304 on 2000mah ones and they last pretty well.

9. davidgirecourt

davidgirecourt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just open a thread for a £199 4.0 pixels from Aldi with all the gear that could be interesting.

10. Boink!

Boink!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    For a good sub-£200 starter camera try the Canon A40, 2MP fully auto and manual capability. Cheap Compact Flash memory, 3x optical lens and it's capable of great pictures.

11. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Much lower spec but very cool is the Sony U20 available from Argos for £200 and cheaper if you shop around. My wife has one and actually uses it all the time rather than leaving it sitting at home.