1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub £1k HD set by at the end of the year

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by SeeNoWeevil, Aug 11, 2005.

1. SeeNoWeevil

SeeNoWeevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +873
    Howdy

Looking to get a HD set around the time the Xbox 2 launches at the end of the year. Budget will more than likely be sub £1k and minimum 32".

I am presuming at this budget (even by the end of the year) I am looking at a HD compliant LCD sets and not plasma (that can do 720p) in this price range?

I have seen current HD LCD sets (HDMI & 720 lines) in the region of £800 at the moment. My question is, are prices likely to change much during the remainder of the year? What can I expect for my budget, 36" <£1k maybe?

Also what are the chances I buy a set and it somehow doesn't provide the requirements for HD-DVDs when the finally arrive? Or am I all set assuming it has a HDMI connector and does 720p?

Many thanks

Dom

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    U could get a panasonic PW8 plasma but that is SD res but HD would look brilliant. or a HD res projector.

3. zag2me

zag2me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    A couple of new factories have been built with production lines of 37" lcd's so I would expect these tv's to come within the price range you specify soon.

4. SeeNoWeevil

SeeNoWeevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +873
    Thanks alot.

Dom

5. Bill S

Bill S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If US prices indicate anything, then 37" will be available; perhaps even 1080p http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6998378&type=product&id=1110265591243 Industry projections suggest a massive increase in flat panel sales.
    http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,9071-1731370,00.html
    Even if only 60% are HD Ready, thats a lot of screens. There will be a lot of competition for that market.

Also watch out for - a single HDMI connection!
    If you wish to also watch SKY HD, XBox & HD-DVD you may need an expensive HDMI switch!

Beware of TVs claiming to be HDTV but not "HD Ready". Even "HD Ready" can be misleading, as Aldi/Tevion purchasers know.