1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub-£150 camera

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by sswats, Jul 6, 2004.

1. sswats

sswats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I just need an average budget camera.
    We hardly use cameras but we do need one for the family.

after a bit of looking i found these:
    Sony DSC-P72 -£128
    Nikon Coolpix 2100 £150
    Nikon Coolpix 2200 £90
    Kodak Easyshare DX4530 £152

Are there any other cameras you can recommend?

Preferably i can get some extra memory and still stay around the 150 mark which is why the sony is looking like a good deal.

2. Jamp

Jamp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pentax Optio 33LF £100
    Minolta Dimage X20 £98

Maybe ones to add to your list. I came on here to ask pretty much the same question after my trusty Kodak DX3600 met the pavement last night. It has actually survived but is badly scratched and the battery and memory card clips don't stay in place very well any more. Seems a good excuse to upgrade/get something more compact anyway.

I'm tempted by a Nikon Coolpix, also considering the 3100 (£133) and 3200 (£152) as well as the 2100 and 2200. The only major difference between the 100 and 200s seem to be the card slot is SD instead of CF, a pain as I have a CF card for my Kodak. Also the videos are unlimited in length on the 200s and have audio, quite a big plus for me I think.

I think it'll be the Nikon 2200 or the Minolta for me. Still looking into it though. Anyone with any more input?

Ben :)

3. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I would go for the Nikon 3100 personally mate. Wife has one and it is really good. The 3200 and 2200 are just the same models slightly updated - apart from the card it is mainly cosmetic. Same sensor & pic quality so not much point paying the extra.

Deffo get one which takes AA batts if on a budget - a spare battery is a MUST and OEM proprietary ones often cost £40-£50. £5 for 4 AAs is ALOT better.

CF cards are cheaper than SD too, so I would probably go for the 3100 rather than the 3200 - then again I am biased because using CF means we can swap between that and my DSLR so keeps things standard...

The 3100 has always come witha free copy of Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 too - worth £60 on its own!

4. sswats

sswats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    But the 2200 is a lot cheaper than the 2100.

And the 2100 has been getting good reviews, if the 2200 model is just an update then I'll guess I'll get that.

2nd choice will be the 3100 if i can get my sister to chip in.

I was trying to find some cheap good Canons so i can get that free memory card, but i can't find a good one.

5. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Wow - never realised the 2200 was that cheap! Total bargain at that price. Have to say that you can get the 2100 for £95 too, but that is academic really - no point.

They seem to be discounted so much more than the Canon A60/A70 these days - dont know why as this never used to be the case!

Get youself a 512Mb SD card for about £60 and some spare batts for about a fiver and you are just about on budget. :smashin: