1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sub £1000 PJ choice

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by bobby m, Nov 2, 2003.

1. bobby m

bobby m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,I have been reading here for a few weeks and have decided to buy a PJ.I have gathered some info on the following and would like help filling in the blanks.

Infocus x1 £816 lamp life 3000hrs bulb £410
    Sanyo PLV-Z1 £932 lamp life????? bulb £210
    PTAE 200 £952 lamp life 5000hrs bulb ?????
    Philips Astaire £901 lamp life6000hrs bulb??????
    Epsom EMT-TW10 £925 lamp life 2000hrs bulb??????

I would appreciate opinions on what is the best of the above.The Epsom comes with a free 60" screen and a mount for£100.I am waiting to see a DLP to check if i have a problem with them,unfortunately I can't get to see the others (i'm in Belfast).

I will be using a room 15ft long and connecting to a Pioneer XV-DV55.I know nothing about connecting methods so I have included a pic of the back panel,I know I'm asking a lot of questions,but I know this is the place to get an honest opinion without someone trying to sell you their product.

Many thanks Bobby:hiya:

Attached Files:

2. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Welcome aboard :)

I'm not sure about the others but you can pick up a Panny Ae200 from Komplett for 699 quid which might factor in your decision.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AE200 @ £700 is definitely a bargain :eek:

Z1 - I liked it & it's definitely a good PJ, but significantly more expensive than the AE200 at present.

X1 - would recommend a demo before even considering this one.

Epson TW10 - worst of the lot IMO.

Philips - haven't seen it so can't comment I'm afraid.

First PJ? I'd say grab an AE200 - can't really go wrong for that price.

Best of luck.

:smoke:

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    I personaly would connect the video output from your DVD player directly to the projector, and the digital output to the digital input of your amp.

I prefer DLP myself, so would recommend the Infocus X1, but it really is a personal preference, so demoing is the only way - especialy as Kramer says for the X1, as you may be one of the few who suffers from the rainbow effect.

Happy hunting. :)

Gary./

5. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey
    I agree with Kramer grab the panny 200 for a first insight into the projector world, it was my first one and i am deeply impressed, at 700 at www.komplett.co.uk complete steal
    Fred

6. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    also robert whyte are doing refurb ptae 300 for £999 they say they come with one year warranty and are check for blown pixels before they are sold, also they say you can return within 5 days if not happy.

A few people have had refurb ptae 100 from them with no probs but also people have had problems with them

8. bobby m

bobby m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I went ahead and got the PTAE200.Have to get making a screen and maybe a ceiling bracket and of course new cables and new sofa and popcorn machine and mini fridge etc etc.I can see how people get hooked on this.Now where can I get a ticket machine and a man in a dress selling albatrosses.:clown: