Sub £100 DVD recorder advice please.

warmbells

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Can someone advise me on what is available for less than £100.00 in the way of a DVD recorder? My wife has a large collection of VHS videos I would like to backup on to DVD. I did purchase a VHS to DVD unit from Maplin Electronics just over a month ago but it started chewing tapes, on returning the unit to Maplins I was informed that the unit was no longer available and could not be repaired as the spares weren't available either. We have a VHS video recorder that can be connected to a DVD recorder, this was our secondary video recorder, no it is the primary one as the one that was used in the living room finally gave up the ghost. My thinking was that we would transfer all the tapes then if this video recorder failed we would record on to the DVD unit.

Thanks,

Gerald

£100 isn't a lot for dvd recorder its the entry level price for the more basic models.

Ideally you want a dvd recorder with a built in hard drive. Generally these are more than £100 unless you go for a very cheap brand. Panasonic and Sony are the recommended brands.

Its difficult to know exactly what to recommend but just about any dvd recorder with hard drive should be competent enough to transfer vhs to dvd but ease of editing to remove adverts etc is better on mainstream brands.

If you didn't need a freeview tuner built in you could go for an older secondhand Panasonic via ebay they go for sub £50 sometimes.

Hi,

We have two set top boxes at the moment, we already had one and because I am registered disabled the company that runs 'switch over' supplied us with another one. We can that way watch one programme and record another.

Gerald

While you can use external freeview boxes with dvd recorders the convenience of having a dvd recorder with a built in freeview tuner is far superior.

It sounds like actually you could do with a dvd recorder with freeview to replace one of your freeview boxes. This will give you the ability to record freeview programs but also record your vhs tapes over.

You have a budget of £100 but really you probably need to stretch to a minimum of £150 to get something of a suitable and ideal specification for you. Alternatively you could check out refurbished stock on ebay or amazon marketplace. A Panasonic or Sony model with hard drive and freeview built in would be ideal for you.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom