Suarez, 8 game ban

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta just accept it now, 8 matches off will hopefully do him good, make him realise he needs to clean up his act a bit. No qualms with it, obviously there was enough evidence so gotta take the punishment

It will be interesting to see what happens with terry now though....

I despise racism but don't get how they take one persons word over another?!

Anyway, it is what it is and hopefully it will stop some of his petulance as it was getting on my nerves.

end of liverpools season :)

now get terry on his

why campaign to kick racism out of football just for the players to do it between them

great example set!

Liverpool Football Club is very surprised and disappointed with the decision of the Football Association Commission to find Luis Suarez guilty of the charges against him.

We look forward to the publication of the Commission's Judgment. We will study the detailed reasons of the Commission once they become available, but reserve our right to appeal or take any other course of action we feel appropriate with regards to this situation.

We find it extraordinary that Luis can be found guilty on the word of Patrice Evra alone when no-one else on the field of play - including Evra's own Manchester United teammates and all the match officials - heard the alleged conversation between the two players in a crowded Kop goalmouth while a corner kick was about to be taken.

The Club takes extremely seriously the fight against all forms of discrimination and has a long and successful track record in work relating to anti-racist activity and social inclusion. We remain committed to this ideal and equality for all, irrespective of a person's background.

LFC considers racism in any form to be unacceptable - without compromise. It is our strong held belief, having gone over the facts of the case, that Luis Suarez did not commit any racist act. It is also our opinion that the accusation by this particular player was not credible - certainly no more credible than his prior unfounded accusations.

It is key to note that Patrice Evra himself in his written statement in this case said 'I don't think that Luis Suarez is racist'. The FA in their opening remarks accepted that Luis Suarez was not racist.

Luis himself is of a mixed race family background as his grandfather was black. He has been personally involved since the 2010 World Cup in a charitable project which uses sport to encourage solidarity amongst people of different backgrounds with the central theme that the colour of a person's skin does not matter; they can all play together as a team.

He has played with black players and mixed with their families whilst with the Uruguay national side and was Captain at Ajax Amsterdam of a team with a proud multi-cultural profile, many of whom became good friends.

It seems incredible to us that a player of mixed heritage should be accused and found guilty in the way he has based on the evidence presented. We do not recognise the way in which Luis Suarez has been characterised.

It appears to us that the FA were determined to bring charges against Luis Suarez, even before interviewing him at the beginning of November. Nothing we have heard in the course of the hearing has changed our view that Luis Suarez is innocent of the charges brought against him and we will provide Luis with whatever support he now needs to clear his name.

We would also like to know when the FA intend to charge Patrice Evra with making abusive remarks to an opponent after he admitted himself in his evidence to insulting Luis Suarez in Spanish in the most objectionable of terms. Luis, to his credit, actually told the FA he had not heard the insult.

K'nell thats a strong statement!

I imagine we will appeal last minute so that will mean he plays the busy crimbo period. Can easily see it being reduced by possibly half after the appeal too

Can't link it as I'm on my iPhone but there's a very strong statement made by Liverpool on the official site. It's pretty clear that we will appeal and try to clear his name.

Edit - Jimmy's posted it :)

It might be a strong statement, but worth reminding it was an independent committee. Perhaps Liverpool FC would like to choose the appeal committee themselves for the next round?

Terry was caught on video, guess that means he will get 10+ game ban.

The statement appears to be a bit of a contradiction as apparently Liverpool's defence involved arguing that the word "negro" does not necessarily have racist connotations in Uruguay, sounds like they need to get their story straight it either didn't happen or it happened but wasn't meant, what is it? It can't be both!

I don't mean to sound inflammatory but all this "he's played with multicultural players" and "he has a black grandfather" is a bit weak. It's right up there with "some of my best mates are insert minority here" in terms of relevance. Feels a bit 70's to me. That's not to say I think he's racist, I honestly don't know either way and probably never will. Of course I hope he's not.

Can't help but think it would have been better for Liverpool to keep quiet other than saying they will contest it. Let actions speak louder than words in what is always going to be a minefield.

I read that the independent committee (or members of it) had links to Man Utd and particularly Ferguson?

Personally I'm very disappointed by the verdict, particularly as all evidence (or lack of it) deemed the charges inconclusive. The club obviously feels the same way based on that statement. I expect they will appeal to clear his name, as they strongly feel it to be an unjust decision.

The statement appears to be a bit of a contradiction as apparently Liverpool's defence involved arguing that the word "negro" does not necessarily have racist connotations in Uruguay, sounds like they need to get their story straight it either didn't happen or it happened but wasn't meant, what is it? It can't be both!

Where is the contradiction in the statement? There's no mention in there of anything you say (unless you are referring to some other statement?) - they are saying that there are no witnesses to the alleged abuse that took place and therefore have made a decision based on one player's word over the other, that same player that also said that the accused is not a racist !!!

Liverpool F.C clearly don't understand racism if they think that because Suraez has played with black players this exempts him from racist tendencies.

Based on Suarez getting 8 games, Terry should be getting 12+ but will probably get off with it.

Suarez also has the Fulham game over his head so could get a couple of games ban for that, we need to buy a striker in January and quickly.

Torres maybe :D

Haven't people read the statement? It says that both Evra and the FA have said he is NOT racist !!!!

Haven't people read the statement? It says that both Evra and the FA have said he is NOT racist !!!!

But that does not mean he didn't use racist terms to try and wind Evra up.

Who were the panel and what are the supposed links to SAF ?

Then how can they give an 8 game ban.

Also what will happen to Evra, he admitted to abusing Suarez in Spanish and he also had a go at the ref saying 'you are only booking me because I'm black', he has a huge chip on his shoulder.

Feels a bit 70's to me. That's not to say I think he's racist, I honestly don't know either way and probably never will. Of course I hope he's not.
You can be stupid in the moment but that is not the same thing as being a racist. That has been accepted by all parties involved. The only thing in dispute is whether or not there was intent and whether Suarez's defence of cultural difference held any substance. Even if that defence were accepted, I still expected some kind of ban for using such language, even if it was upheld there was no intent

Donnacha said:
I read that the independent committee (or members of it) had links to Man Utd and particularly Ferguson?

And where did you read that?

This could all get very messy, and as a Liverpool fan I am really concerned about the ramifications of this.

But we have the John Terry case coming up, and that could be a further worse case scenario for all this.

Donnacha said:
Where is the contradiction in the statement? There's no mention in there of anything you say (unless you are referring to some other statement?) - they are saying that there are no witnesses to the alleged abuse that took place and therefore have made a decision based on one player's word over the other, that same player that also said that the accused is not a racist !!!

I didn't say there was a contradiction in the statement, the statement as a whole is a contradiction based on the fact it is reported that 'apparently Liverpool's defence involved arguing that the word "negro" does not necessarily have racist connotations in Uruguay'.

The statement strongly implies that Liverpool deny that Suarez used racist language but in what is reported to be their defence to the panel they say that 'negro' is not offensive in Uruguay, to me that implies that Suarez maybe did use the language but didn't see it as racist.

In any walk of life that word is not acceptable and if it was used I am in no doubt it was meant in offence just judging by the body language of both in that game.

I hope Terry gets the book thrown at him, stripped of the England captaincy & banned form playing for England, maybe then we can have a decent defender at the Euros

1 Mr Suarez used insulting words towards Mr Evra during the match contrary to FA Rule E3(1);
2 the insulting words used by Mr Suarez included a reference to Mr Evra's colour within the meaning of Rule E3(2);
3 Mr Suarez shall be warned as to his future conduct, be suspended for eight matches covering all first team competitive matches and fined the sum of £40,000;
4 the [penalty] is suspended pending the outcome of any appeal lodged by Mr Suarez against this decision.

What he was actually found guilty of. Racism is not on the list

I expect the ban to be reduced on appela giving the FA the opportunity to be lenient on Terry when it comes to making a decision on what do with him.

But that does not mean he didn't use racist terms to try and wind Evra up.

Who were the panel and what are the supposed links to SAF ?

I'd need to dig it out, but I read that one of the 3 man panel (surname Smith I believe) claimed to have saved Fergie's job when he was at Utd...don't quote me on it though!!

the whole case has been based on whether the words he used were deemed racist, which in his country are not as has been the case for the defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom