Question Stylus or cartridge replacement?

colwyng

Novice Member
Reaction score
I recently moved house and in the process the stylus on my Pro-ject Debut III turntable was broken. I had the factory fitted OM5E cartridge and stylus so my plan was to buy an Ortofon Stylus 10 for £35 and just pop it on to the OM5E cartridge. Looking on ebay though I've found I could get the whole OM10 cartridge for £55. So, my question is whether it is worth the extra £20 and the hassle of fitting and setting up a new cartridge, or will I get similar results from just replacing the stylus? I listen to mainly rock, country and folk at low volume and use a Cambridge Audio A1 and Gale Mini Monitors (though I plan to upgrade these soon). Any advice gratefully recieved!

If there is no damage to the cartridge itself then don't buy a whole new OM10 cartridge just the stylus. The body on OM5 and the OM10 is exactly the same and only the stylus changes.

If you want a nice little upgrade however I would invest a little bit more and go for Ortofon's 2M Red cartridge. Fantastic value at £85 (although you will need the heavier 75g counterweight for a Debut MKIII)

I hope this info helps.

So its a no brainer really! Thanks that's a big help. Is the 2M a big improvement on the OM10? From what I had read I thought they were pretty similar.

To my ears the 2M Red is a fantastic cartridge, worth the extra £30 plus £13.50 for the heavier counterweight.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom