style speakers for a conservatory

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by inderjitm, Sep 13, 2007.

1. inderjitm

inderjitm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a conservatory built back end of last year into which I had always planned to install an AV system. The conservatory is approx. 7m x 4m, east facing with one of the 4m walls being a solid white wall which is just crying out for an LCD but that's another thread :D

At the time of construction I had decent speaker cable put into the conservatory frame and in the solid wall so that I could set up a 6.1 speaker system with all the cabling neatly hidden away. The time has now come to choose and install the speakers. So what do you think I should buy with the £600 - £700 budget I've got? :confused:

A few more details on the conservatory if that helps. It's got a glass rather than plastic roof, full height glass facing into the garden (i.e. no dwarf walls) and full length glass doors into the dining room. The floor is all travertine tile with no rugs. The only soft furniture in there is a 5-seater fabric sofa.

All the speakers, aside from the centre and the sub will be wall mounted at a height of approx. 8ft, i.e. top left and right corners for the fronts, top left and right sides in line with the main listening position and top middle of rear wall with the rear wall being approx. 1m behind the listening position.

So an acoustic challenge to say the least!! Throwing into the mix that the speakers need to be wifey friendly I'm currently looking at either the Aego T's or the new Mordaunt Short Alumni's in white (trying to make the satellites blend into the white frame and walls of the conservatory).

I've looked around this forum and elsewhere for specifically conservatory related information but there doesn't seem to be much about. Any help that any of you knowledgeable bunch can give would be much appreciated.

Ta.

2. inderjitm

inderjitm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys and gals,

Someone out there must have views on the most suitable speakers for a conservatory. If you haven't but you can point me in the direction of further information that would be much appreciated too.

Cheers

3. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I don't know about where you live but here it would be folly to put expensive kit 'on show' in a conservatory. That may be why you haven't had too many bites! I would be looking at small and neat and the same or a complimentary colour to your scheme. Looking at black for instance might both open up your options and be a nice contrast to the white of the conservatory. Beyond that I can only suggest you look around and see (and hear) what takes your fancy.

4. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    I can vaguely remember a thread on another forum about conservatories and sound systems.

Instead of a "glassy" sound quality that one might expect the glass soaks up certain frequencies resulting in a strange response. The size and flexibility of the glass panels would be be the important factor.

No need to worry about glass breaking as a result of the sound from the system though.

I would imagine a flat screen visible on a conservatory wall was a magnet for lower forms of life.

Fixing small speakers to the structure would be more sensible than having them stand mounted. They wouldn't attract so much attention.

Check with your insurers whether your conservatory contents is covered by your present insurance.

5. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Wait until after dark to use the projector. ;)

6. inderjitm

inderjitm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nimby, where'd you reckon the other forum was?

Hear what you're saying about stuff 'on show' and completely understand Nimby's point on 'attracting low life' but luckily the conservatory cannot be seen from the front nor the back :thumbsup:

Also, particularly difficult to 'hear' appropriate stuff as all demo suites are kitted out with carpets and loads of soft furnishings rather than the acoustically challenging environment that is my conservatory:(

Interesting idea of the black contrast but wifey's set on white. So what fits the bill - small, white, wall mountable, decent sound, approx. £600:confused:

7. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    I doubt there was anything useful in the thread and it was years ago anyway.
    From distant memory I think it was discussing a stereo music system.

You could try searching online for <conservatory sound system> or any other search terms which you think might apply. Unfortunately "conservatory" is a common musical search term.

8. Caralfa

Caralfa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's going back a few years now, about 42 or 43 to be more precise, but I can remember being in a conservatory which at that time was wooden framed (can't remember about double glazing) which contained one of the best sound systems I have ever heard and if outside even at high levels of sound one could not hear much. The owner of the conservatory and the house was the owner of quite a large transport company and his hobby was just listening to music. The walls of the conservatory were brick built up to about 2ft six inches high and had fitted into cavities on four of the outside walls (the 5th outside wall was a double glass door out to the garden) numerous drive units all made by Raymond Cooke (KEF fame) who I believe was a personal friend of the owner of the house. The drive units used I believe were the same as used in the Celeste and Duette range of speakers made by KEF and driven by valve Pre-amps and Power amps made by Quad (Acoustical Engineering). The speaker grills looked a bit like radiator covers and it was not obvious from looks, what they hid. All these were driven by the Quad valve amps which were contained in a seperate 'recording studio room which also contained 2 x Brennel tape decks specially made and adapted by Brennel for two way 1/4 track stereo playback. Also contained in this room was another 1/4 track Revox Tape deck and various other items of sound equipment as well as racks containing several dozen 7" spools of 1/4 track tape.
    The owner of the house used to pay me per tape, to record all sorts of music programmes for him from BBC Radio programmes on two Revox Recorders that he provided me with, which I then had to edit into tapes containing all one type of rhythm of music (i.e. waltz,samba,foxtrot etc ) He then used to playback this music to speakers not only in the conservatory, but into every room in the house including the toilet, the whole house was specially wired for it.
    Eccentric he certainly was but the sound in his lounge, some very large KEF units and in his conservatory was something else. One certainly didn't think one was listening in what really was a large glass room, as even the solid wall of the conservatory had the two original large windows left in it looking back into the lounge. There was a large CRT in a big cabinet in the conservatory which 'popped' up by a wired remote control.
    At this time I was really into Hi Fi and I also worked for a company that installed and serviced sound equipment in Clubs and Discotheques in London after having worked previously as a projectionist for Cinerama (both 3 x strip and 70mm), and the sound in that conservatory was as good as or better than anything else I had heard including Demonstration rooms at the old Hi Fi Shows held at the Russell Hotel in London.
    So glass obviously is not a barrier to decent sound if done correctly.
    However a large projected picture on a screen could be a different matter as far as nosy people and other 'visitors' are concerned.
    I will be very interested to learn how you get on and what equipment you finally get installed.
    I should add that this was quite a large detached house which I believe has long been demolished with quite a fair sized block of flats in its place !