Stuttering (if that's the right word???)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Comer, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Projector: Toshiba MT3
    PC:
    PIII 600
    256 RAM
    Radeon VE Graphics
    Fortissimo sound card (optical out)
    Pioneer 116 DVD
    Windows ME
    PowerDVD Version 3
    WinDVD Version 3

DMA is switched on

I am almost there. I am finally getting to a picture that I am happy with with just two problems left to deal with. The first has been questioned in a earlier post regarding the loss of sound when I go any of the menus. I have downloaded all the latest drivers and DirectX8.1 but with no improvement. I think that can live with that. However, I find my second problem more annoying.

When a movie starts any panning motion of the camera is acompanied with a pretty pernounced stuttering (very short pauses). This is worse with WinDVD. The strange thing is that I don't seem to notice it as much when the movie is running for a few minutes. Is this because the software works a little better when it gets "warmed up" (not a very logical theory I know). Perhaps as I get into the movie I'm not looking for this effect or maybe it's just that alot of movies start with very impressive panning shots.

Anyway is this a problem that I have to live with when viewing through a PC or perhaps there is a setting in PowerDVD/WinDVD that needs to be swithced on/off

Any help greatly appreciated

Conor

2. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    1) Stuttering sometimes occurs at the beginning of chapters,or
    when you start a movie, or when you flick between chapters because I would have thought that this is a buffer/overlay thing.

Try flicking between chapters, if it does it at the start and then nothing later, then this is what I am talking about.

2)De-interlace stuttering. As far as my experience shows me, de-interlacing on PCs is not that hot. So this could be a case of exact refresh rates. For me 60hz is the best, doesn't make any sense, but for both PAL and NTSC this is where its at. Any other frequency produces frame rate problems where you get repeated frames etc, ehnce stutter.

3) PC configuration, your system is fairly well specced, maybe a bit on te edge for software decoding (have you tried enabling hardware motion compensation?) In my case HMC produces a more artifact free picture but can produce some stutter like images.

3. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Conor

I would try running with hardware acceleration off as I find his can cause very visible studder. There may be options in the setup dialog to do this otherwise use DVDGenie.

(The picture quality may suffer slightly with this off but it is fairly minor and more than made up for by the smoother motion)

If you already have hardware acceleration off then the reverse may be true :)

John

4. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,542
    In theory if you set the refresh rate to 72Hz for NTSC or 75 Hz for PAL, you should get little or no judder.
    In reality the timing of frames from DVD is not bang on 72 or 75.
    71.928 or something.
    I use toy Story 2 Woody's Roundup where woody is looking (in awe) at the memorabelia. There is a slow pan and it judders to varying degrees with different settings.
    If you watch normal TV, you can see juddering all over the place.
    I can anyway.

5. Ken

Ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Coner
    Try reinstalling your DVD drive drivers
    Ken

6. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Hi Ken

I don't have a driver for my DVD 116 as when I installed windows ME it created the driver that the DVD deck uses.

Should I have a driver and is so where can I get one. I have tried the Pioneer web site but the only driver that is available is a DOS driver and I know that I don't need to inatall that.

Spectre

This is more than judder, the picture actually stops a bit like if I were using a very low spec graphics card.

Conor

7. Ken

Ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Conor
    I had a similar problem and I'm trying to recall what I did.
    Rt click My Computer,Properties,Device manager,+CDRom,highlight your drive and click remove,OK.
    Restart and see if it improves.The drivers will be loaded automatically.

Download DVDSpeed here
    http://users.pandora.be/erik.deppe/dvdspeed.htm
    and run the test for CPU utillisation, should be around 10%.
    If not try reinstalling Radeon Drivers.
    Ken

8. jlanng

jlanng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'll wager the problem is your sound card. I had a Fortissimo card that just never worked properly. I have a Fortissimo 2 now and it works a treat

HTH :D

9. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,226
    Yep I might go with the soundcard too. A few of us talked about this issue not so long ago and there may be some governing going on to keep the audio in sysnc with the picture.

I'm not all that convinced by the timing issue. I'd expect tearing rather than stutter with a timing mismatch. I'm in the market for a new audiophile soundcard to replace my rather lowly soundblaster job so we'll see what happens.

10. cg999

cg999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been playing with the refresh rates using powerstrip and they seem to make no difference. So I checked what signal that the PJ (Toshiba MT3) was recieving and the messsage was "VGA60" Does this mean that the refresh rate is 60Hz even though I have it changed to 75Hz or 72Hz with powerstrip. The projector instruction manual states that the PJ can accept VGA 72Hz and 75z. Is this a case for contacting Toshiba?

I tried it without the soundcard installed and it made no differance

Conor