1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stutter playing .TS files on a P4 2.8G HT

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by KraGorn, Jul 2, 2004.

1. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I have a few .TS hidefs ... as do many round here nowadays ;) ... but I can never get a really smooth playback on my main PC, let alone my HTPC.

My main system is a P4 2.8 HT with XP Pro, ATI 9800Pro/128 with Catlayst 3.10 drivers, 512Mb ram and Seagate 120Gb IDE disks (5400 rpm for silence).

Using VLC 0.72, what happens is that there's a sub-second 'stutter', noticeable whenever the camera pans or there's substantial motion on-screen. When this is happening the CPU load is barely 25% and the hard-disk light is blipping, thus neither the processor nor the disk seems to be throttling things. The ATI is on an 8x AGP slot with Fast Write enabled and apparently functional.

Basically, I don't see why on earth this setup should have problems, seeing as how this material was presumably delivered by cable to the capper. What other system components come into the picture here?

WM9 hidefs also cause problems but with those the CPU gets hit hard and so I'm not tuu surprised, in any case even if my 2.8 played them my 2100+ AMD HTPC wouldn't at present.

2. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Its VLC.. I was getting audio stutter as well... swapped over to win media player with elecard codecs.. problem solved..(or use wind dvd 6.)

I have the same sort of spec...so I was also surprised.....

All sorted now :)

Matt

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks Matt, it didn't occur to me that VLC could be the culprit. I have the elecard codecs somewhere, can't recall why now. So WinDVD 6 can read .TS files can it? Interesting.

4. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    yep... but it does not uderstand the ts extension.. so either rename to .trp (pain if you have burnt the ts to disc)

Or as I do.. is open the playlist.. and when choosing files do *.* and it shows the ts files.. then select and play as normal..

HTH

Matt

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for the tip.

6. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    the tip was for windvd only... once the elecard codec is installed. just open a ts file in mediaplayer it will complain about it not being a supported format, ignore and the film will start..(you only get the error once)..

5.1 sound is sent straight through the spdif no probs.. for the WM9 which have 5.1 I use the AC3filter to get the sounds piped though to the spdif

Cheers

Matt

7. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    not sure if it causing you problems or not but i think most people in the know would say that fast writes doesn't actually benefit performance any more and perhaps if anything my degrade it or at least make the system slightly more unstable.

8. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    KraGorn,

I have experienced the same judders in slow pans, but it is not a constant effect. For example I can play some files fine in VLC like Gladiator but others will stutter. I always try the different de-interlacing modes if it is 1080i material, and if this doesn't work, I use a different player. With so many .TS movies, i have built up quite a collection of players including Win DVD 6, Windows media Player 9, Media Player Classic, Zoom Player and VLC. I have tried the Moonlight MPEG decoder. I have found no real pattern as to which player plays best overall, but seem to favour WMP9, Win DVD 6 and MPC mostly. I have turned of HD Fastwrites in the registry and that seemed to improve Win DVD6 further still.

Some of the .TS files I have are video based, rather than film, and these seem to be harder the get right. Some files like the Preying Mantis documentary (this is ref quality HDTV by the way, awesome, as good as/better than Gladiator) play great in WMP9, but poor in others. Thinking about it now though, it may be a WM9 compressed file...hmmm i will check and report back. Anyway, other files like CSI Miami, I can't get to play smooth without tearing or breakup in any player (yet).

So, I suppose the point of this post is that you should try all of the available players, as they can perform very differently.

Cheers

Rob

9. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    .. erm what docu are u talking about ?

Has it been and gone on the ng?

Cheers

Matt

10. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    Hi Matt,

This isn't off the newsgroups, but is a must have IMO. As I say it is possibly the best picture quality I have seen in any Hi-Def material I have seen. Drop me a PM, and I will sort you out. :cool:

Cheers

Rob

11. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Not completely on topic but I have been playing around with some HDTV stuff today and just wondered if anyone has found a way to hide the grey bar which shows up on the bottom of most/all .TS files?

I have only tried through WM9 and VLC at the moment but will try WinDVD 6 soon.

I have just finished downloading Bikini Destinations – Bahama and it is very impressive…both for content and image quality. Also got T3 along with some other short clips but its very time consuming with only a 512k connection.

Cheers, Lee

12. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,057
    I was wondering about the grey bar also, very annoying! Also sympathise with you over the 512Kb connection, with all this good hidef stuff around I'm even feeling frustrated with my 1MB connection!

Cheers
    Andy

13. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I think the grey bar would normally be hidden by the Tv.. but as it has been capped its very obvious on a PC.. I don't see it on my TV due to the overscan anyhow :)

Cheers

Matt

14. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    Guys,

One way to remove the grey bar is to use Media Player Classic. Download the 'standard' k-lite codec pack from here.

http://www.k-litecodecpack.com/

Once installed, use media player classic, and you will find it removes the grey bar from most films. If some films still have the bar, just use the zoom feature to remove the overscan. With all of this lovely resolution to play with, you will not notice a reduction in PQ, I assure you.

Happy playing.

Rob

15. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I tried WinDVD6 but junked it when I found you can't drag the 'current position' pointer around to select where you want to play .. it closed the playing stream no matter how much or little I tried to slide it forward. While I was viewing it though I still saw the same judder as with VLC, on the RoTK 720p .TS which went through a.b.hdtv some days ago ... I guess what Pulsar said about different players handle stuff differently applied.

In the end I watched it last night using VLC and got used to the judder so that I was able to enjoy the view. :)

BTW, the grey bar mentioned above appeared with WinDVD but not with VLC.

16. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    We are always going to get a little judder when using a hs10/20 at 56hz.

17. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    KraGorn,

Win DVD 6 is annoying in that you can't skip through a film, but I just think that when I sit down to watch a film all of the way through, I don't need this feature anyway.

WRT the grey line at the bottom of the picture, this is still a bit of a strange one. From the limited reading I have done, I understand that this line is there because the MPEG 2 codec requires its material to have a vertical resolution that is a multiple of 16, and so 1080 has an extra 8 pixels added to the bottom.

Apparently the .TS stream should contain a flag that tells players to ignor this 8 pixel line, but either some players don't read this flag, or some .TS files don't carry this flag. I find the grey very annoying when watching a film, and I generaly won't watch that film until I can get rid of the line.

John S,

Yes you are right, the 56hz refresh rate is a git for the HS10, but I have found that DVD playback with TheaterTek was very acceptable, as are certain Hi-Def films. Having owned and used the HS10 for about 18 months now, I can see what judder is refresh rate related, and what is player related, and know that playing Hi-Def .TS streams has some way to go before it reaches the ease and quality of DVD playback via TT. When all is said and done though, the HS10 is a stinking projector, and when driven by a HTPC at 1:1 res playing high bitrate .TS files, it still makes my jaw drop. I have been thinking recently about the upgrade path from the HS10, and I think I can hold on for a 1920*1080 LCD/DLP to come to the market at a sensible price, or a quality CRT.

Cheers

Rob

18. dsp fan

dsp fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can anyone tell me where to turn off HD fast write in regedit to smooth juddering from playing .ts files ??