1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stutter/Judder Help Please!!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Home PC Nut, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Home PC Nut

Home PC Nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I've searched this forum (and many others)and tried many of the suggestions to eliminate Stutter/Judder/Sync issues.

My system is a dual boot W98SE & W2000 with SP4 Pentium4 2.8 with all high end components etc etc.

My monitor is a CRT 17" Sony Trinitron Multiscan which can handle up to 120 Hz. My DVD player is a Pioneer A106 which gives a superb seamless layer change and is virtually silent.

The issue I have is that under W98SE I can watch R1 DVD's on this monitor regardless of which DVD player I use (I have OEM versions of Power DVD 4, WinDVD5, NVDVD 2.2) without any stutter or jerkiness at all and in perfect sync with no frame skipping @ 1024x768 @ 85Hz.

Yet when I try to playback a R1 DVD under W2K it always skips several times over the course of the SAME movie.

ReClock makes no difference. Neither does changing the Audio Renderer or Sample Rate.

I tried changing the Refresh Rate to 72 Hz or 100 Hz or 60 Hz and it makes no difference at all other than the stutter happens at a different time in the movie.

Previously I used to experience smooth non stutter free playback under W2K @ 1024 x 768 @ 85Hz but then my HD had a head crash in the August heatwave and I had to rebuild my system from scratch. This I did using exactly the same drivers/service packs/hotfixes etc etc and the result is that my stuttering is back again.

No background tasks are running which could interefere with the playback.

I've scanned the registry and can find no hidden settings which affect the Refresh Rate. I have a GeForce4 which has the patch applied to allow greater than 60 Hz under W2K.

Please can someone give me some pointers as to what could be causing the issue/what do I do to isolate this as I have run of of ideas.

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Were you running sp4 before the crash?

3. Home PC Nut

Home PC Nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Yes.

Exact same hardware config, drivers, hotfixes, service pack.

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    DMA| enabled for the drives?

5. Home PC Nut

Home PC Nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Yes.

And I have the latest (same as before the HD crash) Intel Application Accelerator drivers (to boost Disk I/O operations). My bios is also the latest available.

Like I said it works fine on W98SE with exact same hardware which is why I am so stumped that it should be so troublesome.

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Have you tried ripping a film to the HD and trying playback from there in case its the dvd drive causing problems?

I run W2K myself and its smooth as silk.

7. Home PC Nut

Home PC Nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Yes I have and it still stutters.

It must be something to do with the way Win2000 syncs to the Video & Audio card as under W98SE it is ultra smooth @ any res or refresh rate which is weird as I would expect a minor stutter if I use a refresh rate which is not a multiple of 24 or 30.

I can only guess that my CPU compensates for this as it is not noticeable.

Win2000 must use another method to sync Audio & Video.

8. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What sound card are you using ?

Are you using hardware acceleration on the graphics card ?

I've just endured a torrid two weeks trying to get rid of a video stutter - migrated to a DD/DTS amp, at first had intermittent SPDIF from a SB 5.1 Digital card, sorted that by turning off ACPI in BIOS, popped in a different HD, format, fresh install (XP Pro) but couldn't get rid of video stutter (Powerdvd, Windvd NVDVD all the same in varying shades of stuttering).

Passing a normal stereo signal with hardware acceleration turned on = no stutter, SPDIF with hardware acceleration off = no stutter, but stutter with SPDIF and Hardware acceleration turned on.

Tried Zoomplayer with reclock, some minor improvement but still not right, messed with matching refresh rates (72 and 75hz) still not right. Googled fit to burst, swapped around cables, power supply, the whole nine yards, no difference. Frankly, I was fit to kill the fecking thing. I watched the opening scene from LOTR TT (killer panning shot.....) so many times that I don't think I'll be able to watch it again for months - ended up giving me the heebie jeebies.

Swapped to a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card - everything perfect, with ACPI turned on, and my original HD (with plenty of software and rubbish lying around on it).

Lesson: SB 5.1 Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad:

Sean G.

9. Home PC Nut

Home PC Nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Sean,

Graphic card acceleration is on and should never make any difference as you should always use the CPU to watch DVD's instead of the Microsoft DVD Hardware Assist feature's many Software players have as this is only really designed for 3-4 year old CPU's which lack the power for smooth playback that all recent CPU's have in abundance. It was designed to use the GFX card hardware features to boost playback. For a bad example watch AOTC for a few moments with MS Hardware Assist on in the Clone Wars and you will see some major glitches.

I'm using a SBLive Value which I have had for over 4 years. You really do not need anything more than this on a PC as it is sufficient for quality sound on both games & movies (headphones listening that is). Once for an experiment I installed a friends SBLive Audigy Platinum THX and fed that into my THX system and the results were not noticeably different from the standard SBLive Value card!!

Creative (now a majority owner of THX) have a great marketing department to convince people that they need their newer line of sound cards when apart from the MP3 authoring features most people would never notice the difference in real world conditions.
    The strange thing is with exactly the same sound hardware (SBLive Value) I previously had smooth Win2000 playback with the same hardware settings.

I have a full THX certified home cinema system & 2 projectors
    for serious viewing. I only use the PC to watch supplements or movies which do not warrant wasting projector bulb/lamp life.

FYI: If anyone has an Intel Pentum4 2.8b (533 FSB) this chip has HT on board but it is not enabled. However, that does not prevent Win2000 from detecting it and installing the Multiprocessor HAL @ setup which means that you cannot assign any IRQ's manually unless you re-install W2K and select an ACPI HAL. HT is not present but the HAL I have is for Multiprocessors.

Though I'd just mention this little caveat as I found out the hard way and had to play the swap the PCI cards around game to even get my PCI cards to work properly.

Cheers

10. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi,

I'm not questioning the SB card's quality of passing SPDIF per se, I previously ran W98SE on my HCPC and the card caused no issues when passing spdif, but clearly (for me) there is some issue which I couldn't identify causing havoc with video playback under XP.

Although I can't substantiate it on a technical level, I figure that the issue I experienced was down to some mismatch between the Radeon and the soundcard clock synch. I thought that reclock would do the trick, and while there was some improvement, running a refresh rate of 60hz (1:1 match for AE100) didn't help matters, and reclock seemed to want to make things "catch up" from time to time. I also thought that there was more of "micro-stutter", but by the time I had gotten round to trying it as a possible solution, I doubt that my objectivity was sufficiently intact to make reasoned judgements !!!!

Still think it's worth trying a different (brand) soundcard........ worked for me, ymmv.

Sean G.

11. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    There is a big difference between DXVA on (hardware assisted) and off. It's perfectly possible for 1 to stutter and the other not. Everything to way the player behaves, looks, sounds can change by switching on or off. The technology used is totally different. The likely reason you see glitches in AOTC with DXVA on is poor film detect, this can be very easily fixed by telling the player to use weave, TT can do this on the fly by pressing the N key. Radeon cards do a much better job of mpeg decodeing with DXVA switched on vs off. The minus points are film detect and video deinterlacing. For film better mpeg is more important.

Jeff

12. Home PC Nut

Home PC Nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Reinstallled the NVRefresh utility and I now have smooth playback in W2K again @ 72Hz 1152x864x32bpp. Some other program must have overwrote the refresh rate settings.

This is without DXVA which like I said before hinders rather than aids playback on P4's in my own experience on 2 different P4's I have owned (P4 2.2 & P4 2.8).

If you have an Nvidia based GFX card then check out this util as it's a great one!

http://www.nvrt.org/