1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stutter every 5 minutes or so

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by wilders, Nov 19, 2003.

1. wilders

wilders
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have just downloaded and installed Theatertek to my HCPC, and have the following system :

P4 1.8, sb 4.1 digital (SPDIF to my processor) , radeon 9000 card, powerstrip, barco 808 crt pj.

I have the original drivers (which came on cd) for the sound card, latest cats for graphic card.

Everything works fine except every 5 minutes or so I get what seems to be dropped frames, say 2 frames are lost as well as the audio, then it is fine. This is on ALL dvds, ntsc & pal.

I dont see stutters during pans, it just seems to be around the 5 minute mark for a split second.

I have checked and DMA is enabled on both hard and dvd drives, nothing else is running in the background, no lan card installed, i've tried the same dvds on windows media player and i havent noticed the same issue, i'll try power dvd tonight to see if this is hardware or software related.

I've also asked this on the Teatertek forum but have had no response as of yet.

Any ideas guys?

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    This is fairly normal and to be expected, its a directshow problem. This is where reclock comes in, have you tried it yet?

3. wilders

wilders
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the quick reply, I havent tried reclock but I thought that was to resolve panning stuttering, Im not sure.
    I will give it a go if you think it will help.

Any one else seen this issue or know of any other fixes?
    Thanks

4. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +739
    I recently had probs with random stuttering and resolved it by making sure that my sound and video cards were on different IRQs (which they weren't - they were both on IRQ11). When I switched the sound card to a different PCI slot they were assigned to different IRQs and the problem disappeared.

Good luck.

Julian

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If the IRQ conflict idea doesn't work then it sounds to me quite possibly some background process running on your PC that momentarily uses a lot of CPU time, especially if it's a regular as you seem to think.

What O/S are you running? Check what other things are running. Is this on a network?

6. wilders

wilders
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the reples, I am not on a network and have no network card installed, fresh install of XPPro with just theatertek.
    From what I've read, the Reclock software appears to fix micro stutter, ie. slow pans which look fine on my pj, it seems as if the dvd gets stuck, skips a few frames, then carries on.
    Will do some testing tonight with other players (have powerdvd5 ) as well as try reclock.....
    Other than this glitch, I am very happy with my setup.

I checked DMA, on for both dvd & hard drives, and I check IRQs...all different. Still struggling...

Any other thing to check - please post here ...

7. wilders

wilders
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well Jeff, looks like you know your stuff, I've installed Reclock and everything is fixed.

Just watched a 2 hr film and not a single stutter. thanks for your advise everyone.

Off to watch more films now.............

8. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    :smashin:

9. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What triggers this? I've used TT on XP for 2 months and not seen this behaviour at all. I don't use the PC for sound, is that it perhaps?

Am I just lucky?

10. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Not sure exactly, its either a resync thing, or its simply getting out of phase, so if you are doing NTSC at 72Hz instead doing 3-3-3-3-3 (showing each frame for a equal 3 times) it starts doing 4-2-2-4-4-2-4 or something like that. If you are running NTSC at 60 Hz you are far less likely to see a problem. Microsoft themselves recognize the problem and their simple answer is not to use exact multiple refresh rates, this way it always stutters a bit so you don't notice if something is going wrong.

11. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I mainly play PAL @ 60Hz 'cos the AE300 likes that for 1:1 .... oh well, maybe I'm just not noticing it, is that likely?

I looked at Reclock but it seemed to say it didn't work for dual-head devices and of course the 9600 is such a device.

12. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    With PAL at 60Hz you will have (even) stutter all the time, you wouldn't notice a problem beyond this. Reclock is OK on dualhead graphics cards like the 9600 if only one display is enabled at the time.