Stupid questions for you. :(

Jed

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am not the most informed AV enthusiast. :(

At the minute i still have my trusty Denon receiver starter kit. Cannot remember the model number but it's something like a 1308.

I now have a HD DVD drive, Oppo 981 Virgin + HD and probably a PS3 at chrimbo. All going into my little HDMI switchbox as my Sammy LCD only has one HDMI input.

At the moment i connect the HD OPPO & Virgin to my Receiver via the toslink. I have been pretty happy with this but getting a little worried at what i am missing out on with the new receivers haveing HDMI inputs in them.

First off what are these for.??? Sound or sound and picture.

Will i get much better with HDMI??

Anyone know if there is a Receivers for dummies websites lol.

Cheers
Jed.

HDMI on a Reciever can be Audio + Video which is the better one as it supports dolby truHD and Dts-HD which is true HIDEF digital audio/video allowing for 7.1 surround sound

or it could be just a HDMI switch which would only pass through the video signal to the tv and not audio, so your components would need to be set up to your reciever with coax or optical digital cable as well as HDMI cable (for video), allowing upto 5.1 surround sound

Last edited:
HDMI on a Reciever can be Audio + Video which is the better one as it supports dolby truHD and Dts-HD which is true HIDEF digital audio/video allowing for 7.1 surround sound

or it could be just a HDMI switch which would only pass through the video signal to the tv and not audio, so your components would need to be set up to your reciever with coax or optical digital cable as well as HDMI cable (for video), allowing upto 5.1 surround sound

Thanks for your comments Pete.

So are you saying i would not need the little HDMI switch box that i have now ?
All go into the HDMI receiver + Opticals Then one HDMI out to TV for Picture?

This sounds better than the switch box that i have to get out of the chair to turn over :lol:

Jed.

Thanks for your comments Pete.

So are you saying i would not need the little HDMI switch box that i have now ?
All go into the HDMI receiver + Opticals Then one HDMI out to TV for Picture?

This sounds better than the switch box that i have to get out of the chair to turn over :lol:

Jed.

You wouldn't need the optical cables for most (if not all) of those sources, the HDMI's will carry the picture and the sound to the amp. The amp will then strip the sound from the HDMI and do what it needs to do with that, and pass the video on to the TV.

Although not all amps (usually the lower end) with HDMI inputs can deal with the sound over HDMI and simply pass thru signals to the tv. So be careful if you upgrade, that you get the feature that you want.

Another useful feature to look for is video upconversion (not upscaling) this takes all your inputs (composite, svideo, component) and converts it to HDMI, allowing you to connect all your sources to the amp (whether HDMI or not) and then have a single HDMI from the amp to your display.

not all amps will do that , some do not know how to decode the audio signal taken from HDMI and thats why optical or coax is needed, but in either case you would not need an HDMI switch box because the reciever will act as one

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom