Stupid questions about component cables

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by pilgrimchris, Nov 2, 2005.

1. pilgrimchris

pilgrimchris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm sure this is a real stupid Q but... I've just bought a 32"LCD and a DVD player (Tosh 350) which I can connect by HDMI but have heard that its even better over component. Does a component cables (three cables) also carry audio or do i need to get another different cable to carry the audio??
    :lease:

2. Rapid 17

Rapid 17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Yes you will need a separate cable for audio. Geoff.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    HDMI is (generally) better than component, so I wonder where that (mis)information comes from!?

Component cables do not carry audio, so if you were to use those you need additional cables. Note that component cables (as any other video cable) should have an impedance of 75 Ohm while analogue interconnects (for audio) should have an impedance of 50 Ohm.

4. pilgrimchris

pilgrimchris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I know that generally HDMI is better than component but I've read in the reviews etc that for this particular DVD player (Toshiba 350) the performance by component is fantastic. (Having said that the performance by HDMI is great so I might not bother!)

5. jessmith

jessmith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I certainly wouldn't bother, because component will not carry HD signals , so when these start becoming more common, you will end up throwing out your component cable, or not recieve the full benefit of the new technology, which is closer to mainstream day by day. The BBC have recently recorded some made for TV shows in HD quality.

6. Member 34135

Member 34135

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HDMI is the route to go but component does support all hi def resolutions including 1080p.

Andy.

7. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Not the sort of thing I want to hear after having just splashed out £50 on one of your component cables! (Tech-link WireXS - v. nice for the money actually).

HDMI can only grow in popularity and usage in line with Hi-Def displays. And seeing as they will remain out of the reach of most consumer for some time yet, component (hopefully) has a lot of life left in it.

Also, I'm guessing that when hi-def sets go down to the £400 mark, they will be using components of such low quality, that the end-result will be an abjectly low definition image!!

DT