1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupid question?

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by tee, Jan 24, 2003.

1. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I'm not too up on in car stuff so forgive me...........

Does the head unit and the CD boot changer have to be the same brand? Does it have to be Sony/Sony or could it be Sony/Denon etc....??

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    The easy answer is yes they should be the same but :) some changers comunicate with the hu using rf ( along the lines of a radio station sending a signal to your tuner ).

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    My Uncles got a Sony CD changer on his Blaupunkt/Audi radio in his A6.

4. minimad

minimad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some different makes and models of HU/Changer combinations will work together.

However, to ensure complete and successful operation you should try to get matched units, normally bought as such. Some of the high-street retailers (eg Halfords) do some cheap(ish) deals.

I assume that as you are asking the question, you have or are considering buying kit not made by one company. You could contact either/both manufacturers and ask, they may tell you, may not. It's worth a try.

Collin

5. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I've just bought a new car and it already has a decent Sony changer in the boot (not sure what model) but the Sony head unit needs upgrading. The one in at the moment is a OK, it's a cassette face/off but I want to put a new one in to improve things all round. Now I don't want to spend much and was looking at the Sony CDX-CA900 - any thoughts??

6. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    If the changer is hard wired to the head then it will most likely work ( the dealer will advise). :)

7. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    What car is it? what models are the units in the car.
    The Sony model's with only the basic features on are a real pain in the **** to control. I have fitted them for people who have only weeks later had them removed and models with all the buttons on fitted. Try looking at the CDXCA600 or the MP3 version CDXMP30 both excellent units and both have the uni-link changer interface.

Mark

8. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Thanks for the reply Mark

The car is an Alfa Romeo 146 Ti but unfortunatly I don't have it right at this moment as some work is being done on it by Alfa, therefore I don't know what model the Sony head unit is. All I know from memory is it's a basic tape face/off, where the colours cannot be changed - I'm pretty sure this was a very low spec one from a couple of years back.

Have you seen, or had any exerience with the CDXCA900? I am keen hear someone's input on this model

Cheers

9. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've only fitted one of these and didn't have time to play with it other than a quick function test and set a few stations. They look nice and it sounded good but the lack of controls was is a big downfall in my opinion though if I remmember correctly it was supplied with the stalk type remote and card remote.
    But I still prefer the CDXCA600 for ease of use.

Mark

10. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I have to admit the lack of controls was initially off-putting - I'm not sure why Sony decided to treat this clutter free look as a 'feature', I prefer to have everything to hand. Having said that, I think it's by far the best looking unit out of the current range (in my budget anyway). A remote easily to hand on the dash might be a handy option I have to say........ I've seen one online for about £150 which is very reasonable but I would like to see the unit for myself first just to see how easy/difficult it is to use. I've checked my local retailers but haven't found one - any you could recommend by any chance?

11. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    What about this new Sony ?
    LINK

12. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Yep, very nice, except my budget can stretch to the £150-£200 for the CDXCA900, not the £900-ish for that!

13. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If you can wait a month or two the new range is due out so you can pick up a clearance model and save a few more quid. Try the bigger Halfords they stock a good model range in their display stands.

Mark