1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupid question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by John Langton, Apr 16, 2005.

1. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But if you dont ask you will never learn! Would it be possible for someone to tell me or point me in a direction to find this Native resolution everyone is talkin about on here

Thanks

John

PS Ive tried to read instructions but got nothing from them

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Native resolution means the pixal resolution of a plasma. so what do u mean find it?

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    John, "native resolution" is the number of pixels actually on the screen (usually 852 x 480 or 1024 x 1024). This means that to display any other resolution than the "native" one, some sort of scaling and pixel-mapping has to occur.

4. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok thanks for that info I found it. My native res is 1366x768. Now is this not a pain because its not a normal setting for most pcs and dvd players. So really no matter what I have it on the plasma will always have to upscale because you cant select this resolution on the hardware?

Maybe a bit of info could help

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      Size:
      58.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      Size:
      85.1 KB
      Views:
  5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Hello John

Unless someone brings out an 'organic' display that's capable of rearranging its pixels depending on the incoming signal your stuck with using a video processing engine to mate the incoming signal with your pixel array.

In an attempt to improve on the 'as supplied' processing in your Display many folk look to an external processor (higher cost/higher quality) to undertake this video processing.

If you employ one of these processors the 'ideal' scenario would be to somehow disable any processing in the Display - this is not possible on any current models I've come across.

The next best option is to set the external processor's Output resolution to exactly match your Displays pixel array and then using relevant Test patterns ensure your Display is not 'resizing' the incoming signal from the Video processor; once you achieve these two things folk tend to talk in terms of 1:1 Pixel Mapping.

Best regards

Joe

6. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A video processing unit as in a PC or an upscaler?
    And if so how do DVD players work then as Ive never heard of a DVD player outputting 1366x768

John

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Hello John

Some folk use PC's - there's a whole Forum dedicated to HTPC's further down the page and some folk prefer a dedicated 'Black Box' Video Processor; again there's a whole Forum dedicated to those boxes.

No matter if you use a HTPC with a dedicated capture card or a 'Black Box' solution you input your source signals in whatever format they are Output at 576i(50), 480i(60) etc on SCART, YUV, S-Video, Composite etc and then let the Processing engine do all the hard work.

Some DVD players now include 'scaling' engines - though they tend not to allow any adjustment of the output signals but work to the 'industry standards' for HD signal - 720P and 1080i.

Drop me a PM if you want more pointers.

Best regards

Joe

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The majority of DVD players output in analogue format, so there's no scaling going on, other than the processing needed to convert a video signal into something which your TV will display, and this happens inside the TV.

The way that the majority of scalers and video cards work is to feed the signal or picture into a "frame store" which is just a large chunk of memory. The picture information (luminance and colour) is fed into the this memory for one frame of the picture. If the picture or signal needs to be read out again in a different resolution, some clever mathmatical processing achieves this. The amount of memory installed will govern the amount of picture information that can be stored, and will have an effect on the quality of the scaler. This is why two TV's of different qualities can have identical display panels, but give radically different pictures.

9. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys. Does it have to be a HTPC to be able to upscale or can you just get away with using a normal pc. I think the amount of knowledge here I might be just better off going with what I was initially going to do and go for a Denon DVD 3910 and a AVR 3805. Life! its so confusing!

John

10. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If I were you, I'd just plug them straight into the TV and see what you get. All LCD and plasma TV's contain their own processing and scaling, and it's quite possible that the TV will do the job better than the average PC.

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Hello John

Best to take a long browse through the HTPC Forum to get more info on the why's and wherefores - generally they are 'custom' built units with hardware and software that's dedicated to the job at hand.

With a HTPC you have to work out which bits will be internal (DVD Drive, Sound card etc) and how you get any 'external' sources into the HTPC so you can take advantage of the processing in the HTPC.

The 'Black Box' type processors from the likes of Lumagen and DVDO have multiple Input sockets that cover a wide range of source kit - DVD, SKY, Freeview etc.

I'm guessing you've had your Display for a while and are keen to improve upon its internal processing :)

Best regards

Joe

12. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe Ive had the plasma a while and only just realised it had a fine mode! I am so stupid and I am one of these people who always read instructions thoroughly. Im just trying to get the best picture from my plasma when watching sky and dvd's. Its not that im keen to upgrade its internal processing i dont even know what that is I just dont want to spend £1500 on a setup when I could get just as good PQ from a HTPC. I guess I have to go and find out more about these subjects. Infact I think I need to spend more time reading the forum than jumping straight in at the deep end as my knowledge is minimal

Thanks for all the help tho guys

John

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Hello John

As you say lots to read up on - and just to give you a bigger headache/research web keep in mind to you need to know what your trying to achieve and how to achieve it!

Simply installing a Video Processor or HTPC doesn't automatically achieve Visual nirvana; being able to correctly configure and optimise/calibrate the system is also a key element in eking out the best performance from your Display and Source kit.

Best regards

Joe

14. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep your right Joe! Thin I might just go for the plug n play denon system. PQ was good on that anyway

John