Stupid Question

phardy

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't know much about PC gaming but bought Supreme Commander 2 off ebay for £1 for my son. Bargain I thought but when it asks for the registration code it says it has already been registered on another steam account. How can I get the game registered? Can it just not be played against the computer? Does it have to be registered on steam?

Out of luck I'm afraid. Once a game is associated to a steam account it can only be played by that account, luckily it was only a quid.

You have to watch for people trying to re-sell titles - The vast majority of games these days come with CD-Keys (serial keys), and they have to be registered on a digital distribution platform (Steam, Origin, Games for Windows Live). Once that is done, it's nigh impossible to get the game on your account. You really have to buy 'New', to be guaranteed a working title.

You should contact Steam and demand that it be transferred to your sons account. But for the sake of a couple of quid, I wouldn't bother. Have a look below:

Supreme Commander 2 PC | Zavvi.com

There it is new, for £5.95, with free shipping :D

I urge you to stick around and keep an eye on the Game Bargains thread, you might run across a couple of (very cheap) gems :D

Just to be sure that the machine is capable of certain titles, what kind of spec does your kids machine have? Download this handy little tool - Piriform Speccy

All you need to do is download it, run it, highlight the 'Summary' page, copy it then paste the results in here.

It's useful to know what hardware is inside the rig, especially before you go and buy titles that your hardware cannot run!

Thanks for the replies. I thought you only needed keys for online gaming as more of a ps3 gamer. My son also uses mainly his PS3 but wanted this game as he played it at a mates but its not on available on ps3. Was going to try and run it on my laptop, not very high spec as only use it for email, web, etc. Have attached the summary below, will it be good enough? Have another couple of laptops could look at if not.

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

CPU
Intel Pentium P6200 @ 2.13GHz 31 °C
Arrandale 32nm Technology

RAM
3.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20)

Motherboard
eMachines HM55_CP (CPU) 32 °C

Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
Intel(R) HD Graphics

Hard Drives
244GB Western Digital WDC WD2500BEVT-22A23T0 (SATA) 32 °C

Optical Drives
Optiarc DVD RW AD-7585H

Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
Intel(R) HD Graphics

Would be surprised if that would run SupCom2, it is fairly graphically intensive in the big huge battles, also the CPU is a bit weak. You might be able to squeeze out some FPS at really low settings.

I would contact the Ebay seller and get a refund, they are not allowed to sell the software second hand. No point demanding anything with STEAM, buying second hand is not within the licence agreement for the game. You have to remember that any software is under licence, the physical discs are not worth anything. You do not "own" software, you "own" the right to use it, not to sell it on.

Methinks that laptop will struggle to run Supreme Commander.

RTS games are heavy on the AI, which means they are heavy on the CPU... Not only that but SupCom is heavy on the graphics too.

Have you ever thought about investing in a cheeky little gaming rig? Or HTPC? :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom