1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupid question re: filter cleaning

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Smurfin, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Well I'm amazed that I've used my Z1 so much, I checked the lamp hours tonight and it's up to 125:eek:

How can I tell if I need to clean the filter? After how many hours do people normally do it?

Has anyone actually done this yet on the Z1?

cheers
    Matt

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Matt,

Glad to see you're clocking up the hours - sure sign of a happy PJ owner.

I don't know if there's a lot of palavar in taking the filter out of the Z1 - prob not. The filter pops out of the AE100 easy and you can see quite clearly on the foam surface of the filter, extremely fine white dust in a pattern matching the inlet grill. Its recommended to clean it every 100 hours - but I normally do mine every fortnight or so - a quick wizz with the hoover with the narrow nozzle does the trick.

The filter in the Panny is very flimsy - care is needed so the piece of foam doesn't end up in the hoover bag :eek: . So if the filter in the Z1 is in the same category, take care.

See ya,

Sean G.

3. snocrash

snocrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    bear in mind that most internal dust 'blobs' occuring inside the project (lens, mirror, prism, LCD panel) are caused when the user changes (cleans) the filter.

Create a negative pressure zone around the filter while removing it and reinserting it. Typical way of achieving this is to put a vacuum cleaner nozzle near by (Make sure the actual Vacuum engine is as far away from where the project as you can make it)