Stupid question (not really Arcam related, sorry...)

PenguinHiFi

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Here's a stupid question.

A friend of mine has an old integrated HT amplifier. It's old and does not incorporate DTS nor Dolby decoders (it has of course, Dolby Pro Logic, but not Dolby digital).

I was wondering : if he buys a Blu-Ray player that has on-board DD and DTS decoders, will he be able to connect it to it's integrated power-amp with a digital cable (optical) and get the integrated to have the sound distributed over the 5 speakers, or will he only be able to do this using a 5.1 (as he obviously does not have 7.1) analogue connection ?

Regards.

PenguinHiFi

Hi everyone,

Here's a stupid question.

A friend of mine has an old integrated HT amplifier. It's old and does not incorporate DTS nor Dolby decoders (it has of course, Dolby Pro Logic, but not Dolby digital).

I was wondering : if he buys a Blu-Ray player that has on-board DD and DTS decoders, will he be able to connect it to it's integrated power-amp with a digital cable (optical) and get the integrated to have the sound distributed over the 5 speakers, or will he only be able to do this using a 5.1 (as he obviously does not have 7.1) analogue connection ?

Regards.

PenguinHiFi

SPDIF (coax and optical) is limited to two channel LPCM (doesn't sound like the amp has appropriate support for bitstream codecs) so the only way to get sound to all speakers is if the "old integrated HT amp" can somehow matrix LPCM to create the missing channels. If the HT amp has 5.1 external analogue input then 5.1 analogue output from the player should work.

Avi

Hi AVI,

Thanks for your answer.

The thing is, as you can imagine, that he really has not much money (an integrated with DTS-HD support from Denon is about 250£ nowadays... or am I wrong ? And his is an old Yamaha. But as it still works, he does see no reason to change it... and that, I can understand !) and so would like to take a really cheap BRP... and those do not have analogue outputs :-(

So I guess I'll have to convince him to spend abot a 100£ more and get a BRP with analogue outputs.

Regards.

PenguinHiFi

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom