1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupid question about screens!!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by yatesd2404, Jun 17, 2003.

1. yatesd2404

yatesd2404

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Well I finally joined the ranks of the projector owners and wow how did I survive before with a TV only.

I went for the Sharp XV-91E and a screen from a company called Deluxx (maybe a German brand only as I am out there working).

Anyway, absolutely blown away with the image but I have a slight problem with the screen. I can no longer get the thing to roll back up ( I know why the hell would you ever want to put it back up), but as my HC room is also my living room I feel that I should occasionly.

I have tried pulling it down till it clicks and letting it go but won't roll back up.

I have spoken to the dealer but can't get his trick to work and don't really want to travel 50 miles to go into shop so that he can show me how to do it.

Basically, anyone got any tricks out there for tricky screens??

Thanks,

Stupid Dave.

2. Hugh

Hugh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,133
    Hi Dave,

I've got A Dalite 106' screen, that does a similar thing. Not sure if it's supposed to be like this, but it has never "gotten worse". For a screen this big to go back up all on it's own would take a mighty spring. :)

Pull it down just to the point where it should retract and when you let go, follow it up cradling the bottom of the screen. Just a little help seems to do the trick.

Line edited out. Sorry Kramer :)

This is a serious post, though. My screen will not retract without a litte help. Been like that since day one. My first screen, so I thought that it was "how it's meant to be" with a manual screen. Is that not so ?

Doubt I could get a replacement now as it's 2 years old.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Down with that sort of thing :nono:

This post will self-destruct in 5 minutes :)

4. HappyLad

HappyLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a pull down Draper screen and often have the same problem of not being able to get the thing to roll back up.

Only seems to be a problem when the screen has been pulled out to its full extension. If the screen has only been partially pulled out then there is no problem in getting the retraction to engage. Annoys me somewhat to be honest.

I always seem to read this forum after Kramer does his moderation thing:(

5. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also noticed the same problem with my 67" screen and it spent the first week of its life in the down position!!

There is a trick to it and that is to pull it very sharply down (very sharp and quick) and then let it rise. Try and let it rise on its own and then catch it before it smashes into the case!!

The other thing that you will probably notice is that the spring will loosen up after a couple of weeks and this whole process stops and it opens and closes quite easily.

Hope this helps (and that is always assuming your screen behaves in the same way as mine!!??)

6. Otto

Otto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi Dave,

The problem you describe is quite common and due to the nature of the mechanism used in spring-operated screens.
    The mechanism needs a constant speed for rolling in and that's where most of the time, the screen will get stuck in a certain position.

My advice would be to hold and guide the lower bar as long as possible, until it's completely rolled in. You probably still won't get it the first few times, but once you've developed a feel for it, you'll find it quite easy.

In general, I would recommend not to pull down the screens and release them at the lower position. Due to the tension on the spring, the screen will go up with quite some speed and hit the casing with some impact. You'll risk damaging the screen itself and I've seen case where the screen came of the wall due to the impact (these were large screens though)
    If the screen is mounted too high for you to reach, buy or make yourself a pulling rod.

Or as mentioned in the previous post, make sure you're very quick and catch it before it reaches the case.

In any case, good luck!

Otto

7. yatesd2404

yatesd2404

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks you guys!!

Finally got to read your new posts and advice last night, tried it late last night and the sharp pull and let go (with care!!) worked first time.

The guys in the shop had me convinced that it could not up straight and so I had spent hours checking for that and re-drilling all for nothing.

Once again, thanks!!!