1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupid question about satellite wires

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Abadd, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Abadd

Abadd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help a newbie out

Im currently having an extension built and wondering if its possible to pre-install wiring under the floor for my rear satellite speakers, Ie connect them to a wall outlet. Im thinking of buying the Kef eggs to go with my Pioneer VSXD2011 so im wondering exactly what wire they use and if its possible to buy some, run it under the floor and just connect the satellites to it.
    I know nothing about this stuff and satellites could use the same as any other speakers for all I know or it could just not be possible. Either way, advice please? :rolleyes:

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Pretty much any reasonable quality wire(by which I mean for the quality of your speakers)would be fine,and some of the QED wires would be a decent starter.

As for laying the wires under the floor...excellent idea...if you're going down this route,it may be worth placing the wires in some sort of plastic conduit(especially if it's a concrete floor you're having laid,as you can upgrade the wires or replace them if necessary and pull them back through the conduit to install the new ones without ripping up the floor.

3. Abadd

Abadd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. gimli

gimli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cabletalk 3.1 is an excellent speaket cable and at £2.50 per metre a reasonablt price as well. I wouldn't buy anything more expensive than this for Kef eggs on rear duty.

5. Abadd

Abadd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    But by all means buy QED Silver Anniversary at twice the price if that makes you happy. :suicide:

7. Abadd

Abadd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The thing is, its now going up the walls, to be fixed behind the plaster so I want to make sure I have a high quality wire that will work well with the Eggs but be of a decent quality if I upgrade to more expensive speakers in the future. So im going with a budget of about £5 pm and I assume QED SA is a good cable for the budget.

8. Abadd

Abadd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another possibly daft question (sorry)

Im assuming the eggs cant be bi-wired. Would it be a good idea to install a bi-wire in case I buy better speakers in the future that can or will the eggs not work normally with a bi-wire?