Stupid question about pci and pci express.

355marcus

Standard Member
Reaction score
Gents forgive me asking a stupid question, and be aware that if you ask me for any technical details I may not have them unless you can walk me through where and how to find them!!
Thing is my pc is 4 yrs old, couldn't even tell you what it is, but I have a feeling that it has a PCI slot for the graphics card, now the purchase of a new monitor has prompted the need for a new graphics card, but rather than PCI it now seems to be PCI Express quoted. So, will a PCI Express Graphics card work in a Motherboard with PCI slots?
Any help very gratefully received!!!!:lease:

If you only have PCI connections on your motherboard then the answer to your question is no, I'm afraid - the connections are totally different for starters.

http://tweakers.net/ext/i/1175464391.jpg

The white connections to the left are PCI, the light blue in the middle is PCI-express (longer and with a holding pin) - so check what you have on your m'board.

If you look at your motherboard you are likely to find the model printed on it - on this picture in the middle of the image to the right of PCIe - I'd use that on Google to find the motherboard specs and go from there before buying anything.

its worth opening it and having a look as you can see the difference between a PCI and PCIe slot clearly. If you are correct and you have a PCI graphics card it will only fit into another PCI slot and the same with PCIe

Basically PCIe is a faster version of PCI and only used for graphics cards. So on any motherboard made in the last 5 years or so, there should be (at least) one PCIe slot and a few PCI slots.

A graphics card can be PCI or PCIe goes into the correct slot.

Faster/newer Graphics card are PCIe and older or slower cards can be PCI.

So google a PCIe slot, check the picture - open your PC and have a look and you will know whats going on in there.

Also out of interest why do you need a new card for the new monitor - if its a connection issue you may be able to buy a simple converter and keep your current card making this all much simpler.

For example if you current card has a VGA socket on the back and your new monitor requires DVI a £2 apdater may well be the answer.

Looking for an adapter is the best solution here, no reason to get another graphics card. Your card is probably PCI-E, but to double check go in to device manager and tell us what it is.

It will be under video devices.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom