Stupid question about pci and pci express.

355marcus

Standard Member
Gents forgive me asking a stupid question, and be aware that if you ask me for any technical details I may not have them unless you can walk me through where and how to find them!!
Thing is my pc is 4 yrs old, couldn't even tell you what it is, but I have a feeling that it has a PCI slot for the graphics card, now the purchase of a new monitor has prompted the need for a new graphics card, but rather than PCI it now seems to be PCI Express quoted. So, will a PCI Express Graphics card work in a Motherboard with PCI slots?
Any help very gratefully received!!!!:lease:

Kirki

If you only have PCI connections on your motherboard then the answer to your question is no, I'm afraid - the connections are totally different for starters.

http://tweakers.net/ext/i/1175464391.jpg

The white connections to the left are PCI, the light blue in the middle is PCI-express (longer and with a holding pin) - so check what you have on your m'board.

If you look at your motherboard you are likely to find the model printed on it - on this picture in the middle of the image to the right of PCIe - I'd use that on Google to find the motherboard specs and go from there before buying anything.

Fe_man2000

its worth opening it and having a look as you can see the difference between a PCI and PCIe slot clearly. If you are correct and you have a PCI graphics card it will only fit into another PCI slot and the same with PCIe

Basically PCIe is a faster version of PCI and only used for graphics cards. So on any motherboard made in the last 5 years or so, there should be (at least) one PCIe slot and a few PCI slots.

A graphics card can be PCI or PCIe goes into the correct slot.

Faster/newer Graphics card are PCIe and older or slower cards can be PCI.

So google a PCIe slot, check the picture - open your PC and have a look and you will know whats going on in there.

Also out of interest why do you need a new card for the new monitor - if its a connection issue you may be able to buy a simple converter and keep your current card making this all much simpler.

For example if you current card has a VGA socket on the back and your new monitor requires DVI a £2 apdater may well be the answer.

Maximus7724

Standard Member
Looking for an adapter is the best solution here, no reason to get another graphics card. Your card is probably PCI-E, but to double check go in to device manager and tell us what it is.

It will be under video devices.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom