Stupid question about IDTV and recording

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Oid, May 19, 2004.

1. Oid

Oid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excuse the stupid question:

I was considering buying an IDTV, not sure which one yet, but I was wondering... if the freeview tuner is inside the TV, how do you record anything? Do these TV's have an output, so you can plug into a vcr or dvdr? Or if you want to record freeview, are you forced to buy a separate freeview box?

Cheers
    :clap:

2. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Good news and bad news really. The TV needs a scart labled AV IN/OUT - take the JVC IDTV HV-32D40. The specs say

3 SCARTs 1: RGB-In, AV-In/Out; 2: RGB-In, S-Video In, AV-In/Out; 3: S-Video In, AV-In)

In this case you can output the freeview channel from the TV on Scarts 1 or 2. The output would be a composite signal and the input, from your VCR or DVD recorder, needs to be composite too (because RGB and S-video share pins with AV in/out).

To record something you will need your TV on and be on the right channel throughout. Not very practical. Probably best to buy a settop box too. You may find that idtvs with an analogue tuner and a digital tuner have a bit more flexibility, allowing you to watch an analogue channel while recording a freeview one, but usually you only find out this sort of detail when you get the TV home.

You may want to consider something like the Daiwoo sv900 VCR and freeview receiver combined @£136. Not sure how good it is.

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Get a PVR as well - don't mess using a VCR get something like a Pace Twin as well

4. Oid

Oid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated.

I don't like the sound of having to have the TV on. I will be taking some open university courses soon, so I'll need to record TV programs on in the middle of the night, bad news if I have to leave the TV on. Also, I was thinking of getting a HD/DVDR device, since I want to commit the programs to DVDR for portability, so what you say about the signal only being composite is also far from ideal.

Sounds like I'll be buying a separate box then :smashin:

5. Jamp

Jamp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sony IDTVs only need to have a timer set for them to activate the tuner bit of the tv at the right time, it will output the signal to the vcr without the tv showing picture or sound. Still a bit of a pain, but at least it wouldnt wake you up!