1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupid PSP Question

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Simebaby, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Simebaby

Simebaby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry if this has been asked before... if I were to buy a PSP from the USA, then:

* What would I need to get it to work on UK power (i.e. to charge it)
    * Can anyone confirm that UK games will / won't play on it (I thought games were region free, but I'm not sure).
    * I seem to recall that it will only play region 1 UMD movies - is that correct?

Plus, can anyone recommend the best place to actually buy one - be it direct from USA, or via a UK importer?

TIA

Si

2. ianrawlins

ianrawlins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup Games are not region encoded, but movies are.

Just buy a plug from maplin and put it on the existing cable. apart from that no probs at all

3. Simebaby

Simebaby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for that.

Can anyone recommend a good place to pick one up? I've looked at MovieTyme and dvd box office, but neither actually tell you whether they are in stock, and haven't responded to any emails (as of yet).

4. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    I think if its on movietyme's site then it is in stock but that isnt 100% sure.

5. Simebaby

Simebaby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers - there is a message of some sort on Movietyme that flags items that can't ship - but it doesn't give an estimation of when "in stock" items will ship.

Where did everyone else get theirs from?

6. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    i think quite a few got them from dvdsoon but i believe that there have been problems, there is a thread about it somewhere.

7. Throttle

Throttle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
  8. bingo83

bingo83
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got mine from Videogamesplus in canada - Excellent price and service - delivery was a bit expensive but was able to track the package from Canada to the UK via the DHL Website (3 days). Item marked as gift with $20 value so no import / customs charges.

Actually ordered more games from them today as I was so impressed with the service and price.

Hope this helps.

Bingo

9. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    Movieyme are doing the console with sipeout pure next day delivery £215 or just the value pack for £180. I wish I had waited for the US version insted of buying the Japanese version though I did get it early.

10. Mr Goat

Mr Goat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi, I was genuinely wondering why you wish you had waited? I only bought my Jap PSP recently and chose it over the US one because of the better screen. Also, I figured that down the line, if I was ever to sell it, the region2 movie playback would make it desirable to a larger 'audience' here in the UK than the region1 US PSP. If there's other reasons to get a US PSP then I'd be interested to hear them in case it's worth me swapping. Cheers.

11. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    Reason why I said I wish I had waited is only because I paid £240 for my machine and you can now get it for £180. I was not able to play it for the first 3 weeks because I had absess in my tummy and was in hospital for 10 days and too ill the week before to play it :(.
    I was just saying had I have waited I could have bought it no for £180 and I would have bought all my games from video games plus rather than other places paying £40 per game.

The only bad thing about the Japenese machine is the UMD movies are expensive while the region 1 movies only costs around £10. I would have chosen a Japenease console because they are both region 2 but I am glad I bought my PSP. I never thought I would play on it as much as I am doing.

12. Mr Goat

Mr Goat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Cheers for that. I did quite a lot of research into whether to get a Jap or US as there's very little difference in price at the moment, so was just concerned that there was something I'd overlooked!

I reckon that whichever you've got, now Sony have said they're not coming out in the UK until September, the consoles are only going to go back up in price. Glad I got mine when I did :thumbsup: