Stupid Place for a Charging Point?

Jonno1

Established Member
Reaction score
Please correct me if I'm wrong as I don't currently have an EV. Our local train station has had 1 charging point installed. (Hooray you may say). I can forsee a few issues as follows:

1. The charging point space is one of the disabled spaces (out of 7)
2. The sign above the spaces says for disabled parking only with no mention of for EV's only.
3. In theory an ICE car could park in the space.
4. The space could be taken up all day if a commuter was using the space.

The car park is a decent size so there would be plenty of room to install a charger or chargers elsewhere. I presume the reason for the siting of this charger is cost as it's only about 20 feet from the pavement where the connection was made. What do people think? Am I being unduly cynical? Or am I overthinking this? I'm not against disabled spaces, in fact I think there could easily be 10 or more disabled spaces provided for at this location instead of 5. (It's a Polar Chargemaster point by the way, 30p per KWh)

Thanks

Last edited:
As it stands, it sounds a bit daft. Perhaps it will be re-signed and the bay repainted?

As it stands, it sounds a bit daft. Perhaps it will be re-signed and the bay repainted?

I hope so. It also appears to have been used as a table for the local drunks during the night with beer bottles and cans left on top of it. They also use the flower planters adjacent to it as bins. The impression given is not very good to say the least.

Well, well, well. The space got ICE'd today by a BMW SUV which definitely wasn't an EV. :facepalm:
I contacted the Council today and they confirmed that the signage should be changing. The customer service person agreed that the charging point placement would look a bit odd.

Last edited:
The charging point has had the disabled markings rubbed off and replaced with an EV charging symbol and notice for EV charging only. The local council has finally seen sense. The only remaining issue is that the taxi rank is adjacent and any overflow taxis park directly in front of it blocking access.

...The only remaining issue is that the taxi rank is adjacent and any overflow taxis park directly in front of it blocking access.
Surely that would have similarly affected disabled parkers in its former use.

Surely that would have similarly affected disabled parkers in its former use.

Yes, that used to happen for the disabled drivers wanting to use this space. This part of the car park needs to be redesigned or the taxi drivers should be more considerate. There are cameras and occasional enforcement patrols but how effective these are is open to debate.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom