1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupid noob question please help

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by BLACK_MAGIC, Oct 10, 2003.

1. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've decided against a plasma and am now interested in getting a projector but i cant work out how to connect anything.

I want to plug a dvd player, xbox, tv and eventually a sky box into it but when looking at the projectors there doesnt seem to be any available inputs to plug anything in.

Are projectors versitile enough to do what i want or are they designed to just take one device.

Any help would be greatly apriciated because ive hit against a brick wall with this one.

2. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Most/all! projectors have a least a composite video and S-video (better quality) connectors. Some - like the later Panasonics - have scart connector which will take RGB signals using a standard scart lead straight out of your Sky box/DVD player etc...

What model projector do you have in mind?

3. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
    Hi the Sanyo Z1 can take quite a few simultaneous inputs:-

Component
    RGB
    S-Video
    Composite

They are all easily accessible with a single button press on the remote.

Steve

4. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No model yet just budget of about £3000 - £3500 a projecter thats 16:9 aspect ratio and DLP and has all the connections that i need now to add to the list a game cube as an additional device that needs to be plugged in.

5. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks i'll look into it but it still seems short with the amount of connectins required. Is there someway of adding more connections (without quality loss) to a projecter?

6. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
    If most of your stuff is RGB SCART, then just run them through something like a Quinttro switch box first.

You won't (untill you start spending serious money of professional units) get a projector with more than one of each type of input.

Steve

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OR a nice AV amp with S-video and component switching works great Denon 3803 or HK4550 will happily feed those sorce ( a few tweeks) into an Optoma H56, Sim domino, or Z1/Z2 Panny TOsh all sorts look for Component input Sometimes through a converter on the VGA input S-video and composite £3500 is a plenty budget for PJ electric Screen amp DVD and speakers! A Prog scan machine is worth the extra.

8. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Yeah, what Steve just said. Unless you buy a upmarket AV amp and have them all plugged in that then a feed going from the AV amp to the projector.
    I wish I had your budget. I would wait just a we mo though. For the kind of money your splashing out you can get the new Panasonic AE500 or the Sanyo Z2. Both amazing machines for the money, around 1500 quid. They should both be available in the next month or two.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    a £700 amp will do component switching a £250 amp will do S-video so 1 component DVD s Sources GC XBOX etc amp switches S-video, DVD direct to PJ saves you loads of hassle your gonna need an amp or how are you going to get sound?

10. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ive got the sound side of things sorted already:). Ive been reading about what my processor actually does and it has all the connections i need then i just feed that to the projector. Problem is ive got to change all my bloody cables from scart to either those component video cables or s-video.

Would having very long component video cables (about 20m) going from the processor to the projector cause a problem with quailty loss etc?

11. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Im going to take the feed going through AV processor route now that i know how it works:).

Im definatley going to wait for a bit before shelling out anything though. Ive got alot of reasearch to do first before I buy with this projector as i am a complete noob and have to make sure i get it right first time.

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    What processor do you have? cabling can be sorted later 20m component is long but not stupid how come so far???? Gets lots of demoing done from £100o PJ upto £5000 even £10k units and see where the money goes when you settle on a model demo it everywhere you can see it with different sources different screens cables etc!

13. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ive got an arcam AV8 processor. Cable length is long because of the way im going to have to trunk it round the room from the projector to the processor which are opposite ends of the room.

Im going to start demoing tomorrow. Ill see what my local hifi store has instock and just start looking at what he has just to start getting some direction. Once i get more idea on how projectors perform i can hopefully persuade them to get a few in.

You mention demoing with different screens? i thought they where all the same just big sheets of white erm fabric/plastic or summing:confused:

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well an OWL screen is £800 ish a draper £400 and huge choice between, Painted wall, bed sheet!!!
    I have seen a few companies off loading SLide screens for AV use and OHP screens a screen is a screen but then a PJ is a PJ!

15. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    You could try the Infocus 5700, which has two sets of component inputs + Svideo + DVI + various computer feeds. It costs £3000 and offers a v Bright image.
    Regards
    Peter

16. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Have a look at the avsforum.com where there has just been an interesting shootout between the Domino 20 and the NEC HT1000.

17. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yep I will. The NEC HT1000 is definatley one im going to have a good look at its had good reviews in mags has come recommended by retail outlets and people on the forums rate it too.

18. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Is there much difference between the screens or should i say enough difference to spend £800 on a screen when you could get paint/bed sheet for under £10?