Stupid newbie questions

kikujiro

Novice Member
Please forgive me for this. I have been lurking for a few days and picked up several half-formed ideas in the forums already. I am sure that if I had many more days to carry on with that process I would find answers to at least some of the below but I simply don't – barely have time to write this post right now – so I am hoping that one or two people will take pity on me rather than telling me to go away and read all of the older posts.

We have just bought a new flat. I am fairly sure we would like to get rid of our TV and install a projector when we move in. This is, frankly, for two reasons: partly because we would very much like a bigger, better image, but also because we would like the TV to disappear when we are not watching it. For that reason we are not intending to install a screen or paint a frame, but are very open to treating/painting the wall onto which we will be projecting in some white or light grey colour as long as it will look nice when, as it will most of the time, it is just being a wall.

We would be projecting onto a wall at one end of the main living space. The room is quite large – about 10m long by 5-6 wide. The wall in question is a bit over 3m wide and helpfully falls away into corridors at both ends, so it would be possible other things aside to project onto the full width and have those edges define the sides of the screen. Most of the time that will be way too large, as we will only be sitting on a couch about 3m away, but it would be nice to have the option to move back for more dedicated screenings.

The long wall on one side is almost all window. North facing, so never direct sunlight, but tons of ambient light. There are blinds, and we will put in blackout blinds eventually, but in the short term and in any event when just watching TV rather than settling down to a movie or HBO we will want to be able to watch in ambient light. In those circumstances we fully accept the picture will be a serious compromise, but we would like it to be adequate.

Walls generally white, ceiling light exposed concrete.

We do not have a games console. The chances of us watching much 3D content are slim.

My questions are these:

Preliminary: is a projector just completely unrealistic given the nature of the room? I'm hoping not.

1. Projector. From poking around online think it's either the Sony HW40 or the JVC X35 if I can find one. Brightness seriously inclines me to the former, but the idea of being able to change the screen size/shift without getting out a ladder is also quite attractive. What I can't tell is how significant the brightness difference is. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

2. Connections. We are already a Sonos household so will get a Sonos soundbar. The various boxes (I am assuming a full HD Apple TV soon; Virgin TiVo; possibly Blu-Ray but again we tend to compromise image quality for convenience) need to connect to both that (optical audio only) and the projector. How do I best do this? I need to switch between HDMI sources and split off the audio in the best format that the Sonos will accept. I also need to get the HDMI to the projector. Should I run an HDMI cable over what will be maybe 7 metres, or are those wireless doodads reliable, and if so which one? Would it be reliable even if the transmitting doodad were inside the low sideboard, which is entirely made of metal?

3. Screen. I don't understand if the ambient light issue means we should go full white, or whether light grey is better for contrast. Is Screen Goo worth it? If not, can somebody point me to the most reliable cheaper technique?

4. Can anybody recommend dealers around N1 or central London that might let me try before I buy? I'm assuming that whatever ceiling mount we put in would be projector neutral …

Thank you very much.

MeanDorris

2. Connections. We are already a Sonos household so will get a Sonos soundbar. The various boxes (I am assuming a full HD Apple TV soon; Virgin TiVo; possibly Blu-Ray but again we tend to compromise image quality for convenience) need to connect to both that (optical audio only) and the projector. How do I best do this? I need to switch between HDMI sources and split off the audio in the best format that the Sonos will accept. I also need to get the HDMI to the projector. Should I run an HDMI cable over what will be maybe 7 metres, or are those wireless doodads reliable, and if so which one? Would it be reliable even if the transmitting doodad were inside the low sideboard, which is entirely made of metal?

You could just use a remote controlled HDMI switcher, but would need to find one with two HDMI outputs or a HMDI/Optical or Coax assuming this would be OK to feed the sound bar. Alternatively you could use the a HDMI passthrough/output on the soundbar, but you will need to find a sound bar with at least three HDMI inputs probably.

If you end up having only the two other sources in addition to a blu ray player, one solution would be to utilise the features of an OPPO 103EU/103D/105D blu ray player.

These players all have two HDMI inputs (one on the rear one at the front) as well as two HDMI outputs.

So you could connect an Apple TV and Virgin box to the OPPO and you can then use it to switch between these sources and the blu ray player, which would send the video to the projector over HDMI and could also send the audio to the Soundbar over HDMI using the 2nd HDMI output (or the coax or optical).

I have no experience of the wifi options, but I understand they work well, personally however, I would always hard wire if possible.

You may have some difficulty finding a new JVC X35.

kikujiro

Novice Member
Thank you very much for that. The X35 does look more hard to find than I had appreciated. Probably a HW40 then.

The most urgent question, I guess, is whether the paint should be white or grey. I would have thought grey given the amount of ambient light (and it might work better as a contrast to the rest of the room than a very slightly different white) but the Screen Goo recommendation page seems to throw up white as a suggestion whatever I put into it …

True Romance

Distinguished Member
replacing a TV for a PJ gets asked quite a lot and on the most its not something I'd recommend. PJ's don't like being turned on an off in short durations and bulb replacements can get expensive (2000-3000 hrs life expectancy approx). See if you can put in a small TV (lcd, plasma) for day to day use and then use the PJ for events like gaming, films, sport, etc. LED projectors are coming along that can be turned on and off and bulbs that will last a long time but you'd need to do your own research on the pro's and con's of these.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom