Stupid Newbie Question...

LBOIV001

Standard Member
Reaction score
I just had a simple question about trimming unwanted portions of a video clip while editing.......
What is the purpose/benefit of splitting a video while trimming? I'm not sure I understand why I would do this, though I'm sure the reason will make complete sense.
I'm not trying to create a split screen effect (at least not right now).....I am just trying to understand the application of the split function.
P.S.....while I'm asking, can anyone post a link to a good site for extremely basic video editing concepts/tutorials? I have a few, but there is limited usefuleness as far as some of the specific questions I have.
Thanks in advance!

I just had a simple question about trimming unwanted portions of a video clip while editing.......
What is the purpose/benefit of splitting a video while trimming? I'm not sure I understand why I would do this, though I'm sure the reason will make complete sense.
I'm not trying to create a split screen effect (at least not right now).....I am just trying to understand the application of the split function.
P.S.....while I'm asking, can anyone post a link to a good site for extremely basic video editing concepts/tutorials? I have a few, but there is limited usefuleness as far as some of the specific questions I have.
Thanks in advance!

Google
There is a lot on google you can find out,you ask why you would want to trim a clip and there are many reasons,it could be too long or some parts may not look like you like, while filming someone may bump you so you need to cut off from there,obviously just splitting and taking a portion out of the middle of a clip could result in a jump cut so that must be avoided,best of luck.:smashin:

As above there are several books site on basic editing. but software specific one are a bit more comon
The whole point of editing is to get the finished video to be far more watchable than the raw shoot
Very few videos could not do with some tidying up, some more than others. in fact although you shoot with later editing in mind, you do not mind shooting "the good the bad and the ugly" knowing you can edit later.
Splitting a clip can be used to remove whole chunks rather than trying to trim, can be used to denote a change of activity. for instance if in the same scene you need to Pan and it doesn't look great, you could just spilt at the point of panning and resume at the point of new angle, with or without a simple fade
Edited video does not alway play back in the chronological order of shooting as long as the story "flows". as such you may split a scent and use the end bit on a " story" line before a bit that was shot earlier
Its all about creativity and is probably best tinkered with than explained in a dry boring fashion
There is no hard and fast about the use of any on the ( editing ) tools, and there is often more than one way to achieve the same result but with constant use you will find which works best to result in what you want to achieve, Suffice to say, splitting is a very useful and very much used tool in addition to more gentle trimming

Last edited:
yes splitting used properly is ok if it does not result in jump cuts they are :oops:

Trial and error to get what work is the key
it is possible to split clips, and do the join cleverly than have a continuous clip with bad footage. Besides " jump" cuts can occur as a result of videographer error too

Splitting a clip can be used for a number of reasons. The main one is if you wish to use the two parts of the clip in different places in your final production, though the same effect can be achieved by using the clip twice and trimming appropriately.

Another use is if you have a longish clip and wish to insert (say) a cutaway in the middle of the clip.

Of course this all obviouse i have edited long enough and right clip trimming is needed at times but the percentage is beginings and ends,middle parts need more elaberate work to avoid the dreaded jump cut.If clips are all mostly short 5-8 seconds taking parts from the miiddle can be a problem.

I don't hink "jump cutting" would be too much of an issue.

What I'm doing is trying to collate several different short videos of being in my kayak in the Gulf of Mexico and being surrounded by dolphins.

There are long periods when I was just filming the water with no dolphins, or quick 'hand pan' shots where I may capture a dolphin or two rising to the surface, but the agitated motion while capturing the dolphins would be enough to make you seasick.

I basically have several very nice moments in rather long videos that, as a whole, need serious surgery to bring out the magic.

Thank you all who have responded very much!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom